Hard time finding inserts and holders 10 tpi LH ACME

Im looking for 10 tpi acme left hand internal and external inserts and holder.
I have a AXA qctp.

I need to attempt to make new cross feed and lead screw nuts
Supplier ( smithy ) lathes could not give me specs other than 10 tpi acme. Poking around it seems the screws are odd size or more likely metric cut with 10 tpi pitch? This is the lead screw nut im attempting to make. No longer Available from smithy
View attachment 480064
Last one I had for Acme thread I hand ground the tool bits.
If lot to do I would buy a tap for id and carbide for od.

Dave

I needed to make a new lathe cross feed but in 1/2”-10 tpi. It’s hard to find insert threading tooling that are small enough for 1/2 bore. And even harder to find a LH acme insert that small. So I found a pre ground threading bar/bit. Cheaper than a tap, and you can adjust the fit by how deep you cut the threads.

Attachments

• IMG_4207.jpeg
    IMG_4207.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
This is easy and works incredibly well!
Did you buy expensive material or go the with the cheap cutting board from Walmart like I did? After I made my formed piece of plastic I then took and milled
final shape on the mill.
let the group know. And was final thread a tight fit Like mine was?
Jim

Did you buy expensive material or go the with the cheap cutting board from Walmart like I did? After I made my formed piece of plastic I then took and milled
final shape on the mill.
let the group know. And was final thread a tight fit Like mine was?
Jim
I used the Delrin I had on hand to make a new nut for my mini lathe compound. The fit was very tight and there's no backlash years later.

Back