Hard time finding bar stock in Rural Australia

P

pollardd

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi Guys,
In the past I have had a hard time finding bar stock to feed my little 10" lathe.
I live in rural Australia so my options are fairly limited. Most mail order places are hugely expensive.

I expect most people in my position have the same problem.

I recently came across a company happy to ship me off cuts from his CNC machining business.
The "offcuts" I received were sizeable hunks up to 40mm dia around 300mm long.
He sold them to me for $1.00 per KG plus delivery up to a 20kg box.
Delivery was also around $1.00 per KG. I didn't get to specify the sizes I received but it was more of an assortment for future projects.

I know you have a strict policy here about not advertising, and this place has nothing to do with me.

Is there any way I can share this information with other Australians on this site?

If not then I understand and respect your policy.

Thanks
David

would be great to know where one can buy stock like this
we live on the outskirts of Brisbane and struggle to find bar stock at a decent price let alone with some old fashion service
most of the specialty steel stockists in Brisbane require you to have an account and to be purchasing $5,000 per month or they are just not interested
painful buying say 1 meter x 75mm OD x K100, you get the feeling your business is not wanted

David, the policy here is to not promote your own business/sales or related, like your employer, family business, etc. So as long as you are not affiliated with the vendor you want to share you will be fine. I know it sucks not being able to find materials so if it helps others in your area who have the same troubles I'm sure those will appreciate it.

You may continue in this thread, I'll move it to the supplies section.

OK, here are the details.
I found this guy on ebay and I guess I'm just reporting my good experience.
The product I purchased is no longer listed although the original listing was very non specific. "Offcuts various sizes and various lengths" or something like that.

I see he has other things listed. Some are new cut to measure things at normal ebay prices while others appear to be offcuts and more reasonably priced.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mild-Ste...49?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item339cca7779

I guess keep an eye on what he has listed and you might spot a bargain. http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/pugjo90

Attached is a pic of what I purchased.

photo.JPG

Thanks for the link David. On the Central Coast there is a steel merchant
that cuts to your requirements, but only a limited range available.
Now I have a source of the grade and size when required.

Back