Harbour freight 44991 mill/drill

Since I don't think too many people are watching this thread, I'll pose this to you, royesse.
I trammed the head. Have it within .0005" from side to side, but there is .003" difference from front to back... that's quiet a bit! Is that to be expected?
Good job on the X tram! But please elaborate on "front to back." Or better yet, what Y distance is involved in the .003" height difference? And is it high at the front or at the back?
I see no way to correct that.
Also, holy weak column. Shocking amount of flex.
As I'd mentioned in an earlier post, the only way to correct front-to-back tram is to dismount the column and either scrape or shim the mating surfaces.

But then, you also noted that the column itself is relatively flexible front-to-back. What to do? Maybe look in on the Yahoo group or search here for mini-mill column stiffening methods. There are a couple tricks you can try. Or else just be sure to always take a final "spring" pass with a good, sharp end mill.

I did see a post recently where they had mounted threaded rods outward to rig the mill column to the dedicated table to add rigity.

I think I will rot out how to deal with the .003" in the unfortunate the time being. I want to omelette that belt project first. And none of that would be effected by that angle

Since I don't think too many people are watching this thread, I'll pose this to you, royesse.
I trammed the head. Have it within .0005" from side to side, but there is .003" difference from front to back... that's quiet a bit! Is that to be expected? I see no way to correct that.

Also, holy weak column. Shocking amount of flex.

The head and column are a bit flexible so when cutting it may be trammed good enough. My mini mill was within .001 (pure luck)so I left it as is. You could cut a .003 shim and put it under the fuselage bracket front to get the head nod trammed. I have a packet of steel shim stock that I cut to size for shimming. The solid column mill is more rigid and easier to tram but is an expensive upgrade. There are a couple of threads here on the forum where guys have made stiffener brackets and or tram adjusters.

Roy

Last edited:
Back