Harbour freight 44991 mill/drill

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
I've come into some money and I'd finally like a mill. I have that enterprise 10" lathe most of you guys remember with the threading problem (all fixed...) so, I'm good on that front. It's a big enough machine to do anything that I'd ever need.
I have scoured for a reasonably priced benchtop mill for months, $1000~$1200, notta...
I have enough to basically buy this

http://t.harborfreight.com/two-speed-variable-bench-mill-drill-machine-44991.html

It not a harbour freight. You will notice the shocking resemblance between that and a busy bee, which is my neck of the woods...

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/milling-machine-mini-craftex-csa-cx605.html

Id really like a larger machine, but they're just not coming up used in my price range without sitting on cash till it burns a hole, and gotta keep the purchase somewhat under the radar from the warden...
So a huge old knee mill is not in my future (even tho I've seen numerous in my price range... it's just not likely to happen without a devorce... haha...)

So, the question, anyone with this model (or close)? I do hobby machining. Nothing big, so far, I've copied a few of mr petes builds for fun. I don't even have a regular need for these machines aside from enjoyment, and being the thorn in my wife's arse.
Is this a machine I should spend my money on? Should I just suck it up and keep looking? And try to build up my money stash? Will I be disappointed with how small it is? The reviews seem good, but, I need more... someone talk me into, or out of, this...

Edit. I did try to find the mill in the rate harbour freight thread... didn't come up with much

Edit edit, on third inspection, there's tons of info, lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... plastic gears.... can't say I like the sounds of that.

I have the HF 4991. It needs some modifications to really be its best. A belt drive conversion and air spring kit. The belt drive does not use the plastic gears so that is not a problem. There is a lot of cleaning and adjusting to do as it comes from the factory. It is a small mil and is not going to do what a full size knee mill will do. You might want to go to a busy bee retailer and get a good look at it. For me as a hobbyist who isn't going to do any large jobs it is fine and fun. If you buy too small you will wish you hadn't when you need to do something the little mill can't do. With any mill the cost of tooling can get out of hand. So if you want a rotary table and gear cutters and vises and 123 blocks and parallels and DRO's, etc you must add the cost to determine if it is affordable. Also collets and end mills are needed. The4991 comes with R8 arbor and drill chuck. You need R8 coletts or mill holders to do milling.

The little machine shop has just about any accessory and tool for mini mills that you could want. Perhaps a look around thier web site would help you make a decision.

Sorry I can't advise what you should do. I can tell you I am very happy with the 4991. If I were still a working mechanic and needed to do milling for that profession I would get a full sized knee mill.

Roy
DSC_0337.JPG

I, too have a 44991. For many years it was my only mill. +1 to all that Roy said about adding the air spring and belt drive mods from LMS. It's also good to get at least a 2 axis DRO of some kind. Cheap ones (.001" resolution) are OK, at least for me. I personally don't see where either the mill or I can even approach .0001", so why waste the money? As many others have pointed out, be prepared to spend about as much as the original cost of the mill on cutters,
tooling, accessories, etc.

Clean the mill up, carefully adjust the gibs, keep the mechanisms lubricated, and it will be a good little workhorse.
kHPIM2220.jpg

I'm aware the cost of tooling is ridiculous. I've been dealing with that with the lathe. That's not really the concern. I buy tooling as a need arises. I have the cheap DRO's with my lathe and can easily get a few more for this.

What is this air spring you speak of, tho?

How long did you work with the plastic gears before you realized you needed to change it?

I have a few end mills, and an er32 set, I'm sure I can get or make an r8 er32 holder.

Again, all my machining is hobby use. I currently cannot foresee me ever doing anything that requires a huge machine. I will likely only ever have a bench model. While the hobby is still fresh (unlike the much older woodworking hobby where I go months without turning the lights on in that shop..) all I do is make small tooling projects, copy Mr Pete, fix small parts... etc.
It's sounding like this little mill is capable of doing more that it seems.... maybe a good option?

I looked up both the air spring kit and the belt kit.
Why the air spring tho... does the mill come with nothing? So it's just heavy to raise or lower?

I looked up both the air spring kit and the belt kit.
Why the air spring tho... does the mill come with nothing? So it's just heavy to raise or lower?

The air spring is much better at keeping the head balanced so it moves smoothly up and down. It also comes with an extended rack making for more Z axis travel. Plus you can change the stop location or make a smaller stop bushing to gain slightly more Z axis travel. The mill comes with an arm and torsion spring assembly that is not as smooth and gets in the way of the installation of Z axis dro's. The Little machine is capable of doing most milling operations the big machines do, just a lot slower since it is not rigid enough or powerful enough to take large cuts. You work within its limitations and it is a decent machine. It does sound as though it would meet your needs. One thing is that they are easy to sell if you decide to upgrade to a bigger mill.

Roy

I'm quite good at buying and selling tools and machinery to move bigger.
I bought a 26 gal crappy compressor years ago for $100, had to rebuild the head. Then I changed the compressor head right out to a 1HP unit, then over the years traded/sold and bought compressors and now I have an old 60 gal Bruner 2HP, a tank of a compressor and didn't spend any more than that initial $100. Rebuilt it, and it keeps up with my wood shop (pneumatic sanders and spray guns) like a champ.
So ya, maybe this might work out.

What's the t slot size for these units? I can't find that info.

From LMS:
These T-slot nuts fit a 7/16" (12 mm) T-slot, and are threaded 3/8-16.

The nuts are the correct size for the Mini Mill.

They are heat treated and have a black oxide finish.

So either 12mm if you want 8mm studs or 7/16" if you want 3/8" studs

Back