Harbor Freight motors?

ELHEAD

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone had experience with HF motors? I am looking at the 1 1/2 hp 3450/3600 in particular.
David

We had a 5 hp marathon that was used in an air compressor and it was fine.

But that was marathon and not century.

Would avoid them if it is important in any wsy.

Some places cheat and claim hp only on watts consumed and not work performed.

Look close at motor name plate and check specifications.

We know enough about them to know to do homework but not enough to just state facts.

There will be others who may be able to advise which data to consider to evaluate the motor.

Consider ebay Baldor or other name brand as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I've learned to have low expectations with Harbor freight stuff, thus try not to be disappointed when It doesn't work. this doesn't always work, so I always try to source from Grizzly. As both sources are available locally, I generally never would buy something like a motor from Harbor freight.

Motor needed for a 10" table saw. Present dead motor is a Craftsman 2 hp that has den on the saw for 35 yrs. not long after warranty was out I smoked the starter cutting 2" oak, had a motor shop install an electronic starter. It has worked well since. Now that I am ," retired" I don't anticipate using it as much as I did in the wood flooring business.
Thanks for your thoughts.

What is dead?

Usually run or start cap or the contacts on the switch.

Seldom is it a shorted winding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I had a 5hp motor on my air compressor after about5 hrs of running sparks and smoke came out of the back end. since I had bought the insurance I got another motor this one has been on the compressor for 10 yrs. so its hit or miss. I have a 7.5 hp motor thatI installed on my lathe. has worked fine for years. bill

Back