Harbor Freight mini mill

Thanks, I couldn't remember where these files came from. They should be used before you break the gear..... o_O

Get the belt kit from LMS and you won't be sorry. Metal gears will only cause you to break other gears or other parts of the mill. Two worth while upgrades to this
machine are the belt driver kit and the air shock head support instead of the spring arrangement it comes with. The spring counter balance was probably the reason for breaking
the plastic gear. If you don't replace it with the belt drive eventually you will break something else. Both kits are simple to install. Very good instructions. If
a dumb ass like me could do it anyone could even your wife or girlfriend.

Yup I broke my gears about a month ago. I ordered replacements from LMS.com. They came quickly and were no problem getting in. I had also broke the 2 speed gear and when I ordered the replacements I ordered 2 sets of each. LMS is very nice to deal with and their parts can be ordered for each brand of machine.
Good luck.
In case you have to replace the 2-speed gears on the inside of the unit, here are a couple of hints that I can remember from doing mine. If you only tore up the top gear you are lucky. If you can put the unit in slow and then high speed and turning the lower end of the spindle rotates the upper gear the 2-speed gears should be okay. If the upper gear only turns when in one or the other gear, you better tear it apart and check the 2-speed gear cluster.
Be sure to look for the little keepers on the shafts as they could be real bear-cats to try to find when putting things back together. I would wrap the motor in some cloth to protect the finish while you have it off, chipped the paint on mine in a couple spots. And don't forget to lube the heck out of all the mechanisms before you cover everything up. You may appreciate the help of a friend while taking it apart and putting the unit back on the column again, it is quite heavy. I had time to put together a little hoist to help me.
It may be handy to cover the top of the column to prevent anything from falling down inside it, don't ask me how I know. And if you have to replace the 2 speed gear on the inside I removed the 4 bolts from the back side of the column side of the unit so as to be able to get at the high-low speed selector shaft set screw. Be very careful to set this selector correctly when re-installing it. (Mine hit the back of the electrical box before the selector was centered on the gears.)
NodakGary

Why bother replacing gears when you are only going to break them again. Apparently you never read about using a belt conversion from LMS. It's the best
investment you could of made for that machine. Two things this machine needs is a belt drive and a gas shock assist for the head instead of the spring and
lever set up it comes with. Check and read what LMS has to say about both and you will agree with them. The both conversions are easily done in 15 minutes
with out the loss of any parts down in to the gears of the machine. Boot

I just wanted to ask a question about the Belt conversion. I broke the 2 speed gear and teeth on one of the gears on the spindle.. Yea I know...I need to learn to use a Fly Cutter.. But I did order the belt drive from LMS and was told that drilling a 1/2 hole would not work with the belt drive since the torque was so low... Just asking if you guys have had issues ..ways around it..
Thanks

I have the LMS belt conversion but I never tried drilling a 1/2" hole with mine.

Of course the 5/8" holes I drilled came out OK.

I don't think I'd try drilling holes much larger than 1/4" without drilling a pilot hole on any machine.

Well broke gear and lost low gear tried to drill a hole 15/32 and motor kept cutting out

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I just checked my email. LMS has their Belt conversion kit %10 off regular price right now till Jan 31.

Back