Harbor Freight Mini Lathe I Want To Add A Milling Head

Thanks Charlie, I see how it works. Didnt understand it but you explanation helped. Interesteing, might do the job.

Your lathe appears to be roughly an 8X16 according to this "manual"
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/31000-31999/31316.pdf

I don't know if Smithy ever made a combination machine that size but regardless, I would think it unlikely that you would find a milling head that would be compatible.

Moving a Bridgeport into a basement is not a simple task.

If the head attachment for that lathe would meet your needs, then a X2 mini mill would also. As Mikey has pointed out, it would be much better than adding a milling head to your lathe.

Hans

Teched I have the same lathe and thought of doing the same thing. The reason I didn’t was the cost and lack of setup options. With an X2 mill you have T-slots to attach your vise or work. With a milling head on the lathe your options are limited as far as work holding. I ended up buying an X2 mill used with tooling and am way under what guys are selling the Compact 5 / 8 milling head for.

FYI, the Harbor Freight 31316 lathe is a clone of the Austrian made Compact 8 and is 8½ X 16.

Thanks to all who commented. I will need to look into the specifications of. An X2

Good call, Teched. I just recently had a chance to look at, handle and fit a milling attachment to an Emco
Compact 8 lathe and while it is functional for rudimentary milling, it is nowhere near as capable as even a small mill like an X2. For the price of an Emco unit you could buy a whole new mini-mill and partially tool it up. Even those guys who own the larger Emco lathes with attached milling devices will tell you the same thing - go for a separate mill.

Back