HARBOR FREIGHT HORIZONTAL BAND SAW

I made a nice table for mine although I use it in the horizontal position 90% of the time.
Made a blade brush for it also. Mikey helped me with that sending me pics of how he made his.
Mine doesn't cut very straight. I have the adjustments cams or whatever they are called to the extreme. When you lift the saw up it does not track straight which is probably most of the problem. I don't really care as the cut portion gets cleaned up in the mill or lathe.

Mine served me well for the last 2 years. What mods were you thinking about doing?

WHAT MODS ? GLAD THAT YOU ASKED . I AM DOING THE EASY STUFF FIRST .
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE IN THE FIRST TWO DAYS .

FIRST OFF , I CAN'T STAND THE CRAPPY STRIP-A-MATIC 4.8 HARDWARE THAT COMES ON THE SAW
SO I AM SYSTEMATICALLY REPLACING MOST OF IT WITH GRADE 8.8 STUFF . WORLD's EASIEST UPGRADE .

DSC_0795.JPG

THE VISE WOULDN'T OPEN FAR ENOUGH TO HOLD 3" STOCK AT A 45° ANGLE . THE SQUARE CORNERS OF THE
MOVING JAW's NUT HIT THE RADIUS OF THE ROUND SLOT SO IT WAS AN EASY LATHE JOB TO
ROUND THE CORNERS AND GAIN A QUARTER INCH OF VISE TRAVEL .

DSC_0798.JPG

THE FIXED/ ANGLE JAW HAD A THRU BOLT TO SET THE ANGLE . THIS REQUIRES TWO WRENCHES TO ADJUST
AND THE M8 SIZE SEEMED A BIT WIMPY FOR THE JOB . I MADE A NEW TEE-NUT FROM STEEL THAT TRACKS THROUGH
THE .530" CURVED SLOT . IT IS THREADED M10 AND THE ANGLE CAN NOW BE ADJUSTED WITH ONE WRENCH ON THE TOP .
I HAVE A M-10 KIPP HANDLE ON ORDER SO I WON'T EVEN NEED A WRENCH FOR THIS ADJUSTMENT .

DSC_0800.JPG

I HATE HAVING CHIPS ALL OVER THE PLACE SO I MADE UP AM ALUMINUM BUCKET TO CATCH THE SHAVINGS COMING OFF THE SAW .
IT IS MADE FROM TWO PIECES OF ALUMINUM HELD TOGETHER WITH POP RIVETS
IT STICKS UP FAR ENOUGH ON THE BACK SIDE TO CONTAIN THE CHIPS THAT FALL THROUGH THE SLOT .
IT ATTACHES WITH A SIMPLE SPRING LATCH SO I CAN POP IT OFF AND DUMP IT EASILY .

DSC_0797.JPG

I HAVE A FEW MORE THINGS IN THE WORKS LIKE PINS TO FIX THE STATIONARY JAW AT 45° & 90° AND
A REMOVABLE FENCE TO KEEP PARTS IN PLACE WHEN THE BLADE CUTS THROUGH .

Last edited:
Best to open up gear box and examine oil for chips and grit, if its clean button it up and forget if for a few years, if its suspicious, drain and put in fresh 80w-whatever and be happy. My Jet 4 x 6 came with grit my 7 x 12 HF was spotless inside, one Taiwan the other China, go figure.

I like your little bucket, that's something I've GOT to copy!
Mark S.
ps I like all your ideas: the pins, the fence, it's all good. HF should pay you to be a consultant

Last edited:
I had the wet version of that saw, and I made a bazillion cuts with it, never had issues. Blade and spring tension are key to how long your blades will last, and how square the cuts are.

What mods were you thinking about doing?

HERE IS ANOTHER . I HATE THE WIMPY LITTLE CRANK THEY GIVE YOU TO CLOSE THE VISE .
YEARS OF RUNNING A BIG KALAMAZOO SAW SPOILED ME . IT HAD A HAND WHEEL .

SO HERE IS MY HAND WHEEL . IT STARTED OUT ON AN ENCO ARBOR PRESS .
I UPGRADED THE PRESS WITH A MUCH LARGER WHEEL & THIS LITTLE ONE WAS LEFT OVER .
SIMPLE LATE JOB TO MAKE UP AN ADAPTER FOR THE SAW .

IT GIVES ME MORE TORQUE AND IS ALWAYS IN THE RIGHT POSITION .
BEST OF ALL , THE ROTATING MASS MAKES IT EASY TO "SPIN" THE VISE OPEN OR CLOSED .
IT ALSO ADDS SOME NEEDED WEIGHT TO THE LIGHT END OF THE SAW .
DSC_0801.JPGDSC_0802.JPGDSC_0805.JPG

Another good mod is a blade brush- planning to add one to mine. Maybe an oil dripper too
Mark S.

A couple cheap tooth brushes clamped in a wood block work to clean chip out of the teeth. Can be made where a zip tie can hold it on the back roller assembly. And a mister really helps in a few ways. Oil drippers are good too. If I don't find a vertical bandsaw I like ill get one of these and just make it vertical. The prices people want for old worn out ones is obscene there iron or steel not gold.

What mods were you thinking about doing?

THIS KIPP HANDLE IS THE CAT's MEOW . ( 6 BUCKS ON E-BAY )
IT IS INDEXABLE AND HAS A M10 STUD .

1/2 TURN UNLOCKS VISE FOR RE-POSITIONING .
TURN IT BACK AND THE VISE IS LOCKED IN PLACE FOR CUTTING .

THIS ADJUSTMENT REQUIRES TWO WRENCHES THE WAY THESE SAWS ARE SOLD .
CHANGING THE VISE ANGLE IS NOW A FAST & EASY ONE HAND , TOOL-FREE OPERATION .

DSC_0824.JPGDSC_0825.JPG

Back