Harbor Freight 8x14 Mini Lathe

bankwalker

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I am in the market of purchasing a mini lathe and looking at the HF 8x14 mini lathe. My question is what is the largest diameter round bar you can machine using this lathe? I am interested in machining the outer diameter of a 4 inch round bar stock and wondering if this lathe will allow me to do so.

Thanks,
BW

Tried to find it on their site but couldn't locate it.

David

You will likely need to get a bigger lathe. The chuck that comes with their 8x12 is a 4" chuck, so it will not hold material that size. At this point, you're looking at spending more money to buy tooling for the project and your money would be better spent elsewhere.

LMS has 5" chucks with adapters that would give the ability to do 4" round bar. Adds about $150.00 to your cost though.

I started out with one of these years ago. You actually can hold 4" stock with the jaws reversed - support it with a live center on the tail stock though for a piece of length. You can even hold 4" stock with the smaller 7x series:

3_inch_piece_y.jpg

I don't think Harbor Freight sells an 8x14 lathe. Their 8x12 lathe can be upgraded with aftermarket 14 inch ways. Little Machine shop sells the kit. I have one and it is a decent little lathe.

You can cut any size material you can fit in the chuck. With a small lathe you just have to take smaller bites and more passes.

I bought my lathe from harbor freight and your right, it is called 8x12. What is interesting is that both Harbor Freight 8X12 and the LatheMaster 8X14 have 14 inches between centers and are identical machines except for paint color. Anyway, you can turn 4" stock properly supported by reversing the jaws on the chuck.

Before you buy a HF, check out the Lathemaster 8x14. HF will give you a basic lathe with a 3 jaw 4"chuck with some wrenches. For a $100 more the Lathemaster offers not only a 4" three jaw, but also a 5" 4 jaw , steady rest, a travelling rest, a back splash plate, a bottom plate and what ever else. This was one of several reasons that I went with Lathemaster about three years ago. The biggest diameter that I have cut was a 3" piece of cast iron. With some cutting oil the lathe did just fine. I also recommend to check out the Annisquam Granite Co. site on a review of the 8x14. Mark

Yes, the 8x14 can turn 4" dia but of course it depends on how long as there is limited travel of the carriage. Typically you can mount up to the same OD as the chuck, maybe more but it's not recommended. The stock chuck is 4". I had 5" chucks on my HF 8x14. I have seen a 6.3" chuck mounted on one but that's excessive. 5" is the largest chuck I would mount on one of these lathes.

I agree with the above, check out the Lathemaster's version if they are still available. HF sells these for $1000 now, at that price I would not even consider it. When I got mine, these were much cheaper & often went on sale. I got mine $360 + tax at the main HF warehouse which is somewhat local to me.

I don't think Harbor Freight sells an 8x14 lathe. Their 8x12 lathe can be upgraded with aftermarket 14 inch ways. Little Machine shop sells the kit.

The HF 8x12 is actually an 8x14. I have no idea why they call it a 8x12. Sounds like you are getting this lathe & the ever so popular 7x lathes confused. The extended bed kits are available for the 7x lathes & not the 8x14s. They are completely different types of lathes.

I was mistaken, darkzero. Thanks for the clarification.

The HF lathe I purchased was a 7 x 10, which I upgraded to 7 x 14. It was on sale and with the 20% coupon I paid under $300 for it, so even though I didn't really need it, I couldn't resist.

Back