Happy Halloween!! I broke a tap today

Most saws the dern muffler bolts loosen and wear the holes egg shape vibrating. I don't know why they changed from using springs to hold the mufflers . Engineering I guess. I've had to do many of the sthil and other broken bolts in engines of all kinds . It's always a gamble , I'd try the acid to eat the steel it may take awhile but it works. Cylinder kits for that saw run near $300. Might be more now. I haven't done any in a couple years.

WoodChucker, you are correct, I created my own problem.

Silverbullet, I may try the acid. The tap is moving at this point. But only about a quarter of a turn. The nut and washer broke off the weld. I now have a blob of weld that is sticking out of the aluminum case. Not sure what is keeping the tap from backing out. Going to try more leverage and see if I can back it out. There may be a weld bee bee it’s runing into.

toolman_ar

When taps break they often break in multiple places. You may be moving the upper portion but as it turns slightly, it hits the lower portion and binds. I wouldn't try to force it in a valuable piece of equipment. It is also possible that chips are causing the binding. That can happen with unbroken taps. You could try flooding with tapping lubricant and applying compressed air. Finesse is the watchword.

WoodChucker, you are correct, I created my own problem.

Silverbullet, I may try the acid. The tap is moving at this point. But only about a quarter of a turn. The nut and washer broke off the weld. I now have a blob of weld that is sticking out of the aluminum case. Not sure what is keeping the tap from backing out. Going to try more leverage and see if I can back it out. There may be a weld bee bee it’s runing into.

toolman_ar
Try the alum it works and won't cause you a problem it you keep it in the hole.. Don't spray it around

Back