Happy Halloween!! I broke a tap today

toolman_ar

Active User
Registered
First, Happy Halloween everyone!!

So I volunteer to do a job, because no one else will touch it.

The tool I am working on is a Stihl TS420, concrete saw. This is the third one I have worked on.

The M5 exhaust / muffler bolts fail on these saws and the local Stihl dealer says they won't fix them.

This saw had the right side bolt broke off 10mm deep in the hole. The left side was missing.

After attempting to back out the left over bolt, I ended up drilling out the hole to depth.

Then started tapping... got to the bottom, then tried for one more 1/4 turn. POP...

So I start welding a nut on the tap. After three tries, I got the tap to move. But the tap will only turn about a 1/4 turn. Then hits something hard. My guess is it is a broken part of the tap.

I have walked away for the night.

Any ideas?

Time to pass out

toolman_ar

First, Happy Halloween everyone!!

So I volunteer to do a job, because no one else will touch it.

The tool I am working on is a Stihl TS420, concrete saw. This is the third one I have worked on.

The M5 exhaust / muffler bolts fail on these saws and the local Stihl dealer says they won't fix them.

This saw had the right side bolt broke off 10mm deep in the hole. The left side was missing.

After attempting to back out the left over bolt, I ended up drilling out the hole to depth.

Then started tapping... got to the bottom, then tried for one more 1/4 turn. POP...

So I start welding a nut on the tap. After three tries, I got the tap to move. But the tap will only turn about a 1/4 turn. Then hits something hard. My guess is it is a broken part of the tap.

I have walked away for the night.

Any ideas?

Time to pass out

toolman_ar
If you're tapping into aluminum, alum is sopposed to eat the tap with attacking the metal. Otherwise EDM will burn it out. There a re a number of posts regarding this. search for alum broken tap

On another note, why do you have five identical posts?

Last edited:
I like the chocolate idea...

Going to wait another hour to ensure no goblins show up.

Then it's there loss my gain!!

If the hole is in Aluminum use Nitric acid. It will dissolve only the tap and leave the aluminum.
Robert

RJ has a good solution.
Now if you hit the bottom, why didn't you stop??? Geez, you like giving yourself a hard time. ALUM..:apologize:

Back