Hand Wheel Collet Closer Build

what I have found is that with that thrust bearing there has never been an issue getting things tight enough. ALTHOUGH my handle is about 8 in. giving me a lot of mechanical advantage.
My handle is 6" diameter, the size of the piece I had on hand. When I was researching others' ideas to steal them, I found handles from 4" to 8", mostly around 6".

Awesome. I'm building one for my SB 14.5 right now. I bought a 1-3/8 tube, the rest is coming from the scrap bin. The hand wheel will be a park wheel from either a 4R100 or a 4F50N, haven't decided yet. And I just borrowed the bearing idea, it appears a front planet bearing from a Toyota A540 will do the trick.

Yeah, there's a theme to my scrap source.
My tube is 1-3/8" O.D., 1-1/8" I.D. DOM tubing. That size seems ideal for a 5C hand wheel collet closer. My spindle bore is 1-1/2".

Awesome. I'm building one for my SB 14.5 right now. I bought a 1-3/8 tube, the rest is coming from the scrap bin. The hand wheel will be a park wheel from either a 4R100 or a 4F50N, haven't decided yet. And I just borrowed the bearing idea, it appears a front planet bearing from a Toyota A540 will do the trick.

Yeah, there's a theme to my scrap source.
The bearing set I used is a 35x52x4 mm needle thrust bearing from VXB, currently priced at $5.77. Part number is KIT8675.
https://www.vxb.com/Thrust-Needle-Roller-Bearing-35x52x4-p/kit8675.htm

Back