Hand pump

wpala

Active User
Registered
So here is the situation I would like to build my own hand pump to be able to pump from 100 ft max, I have seen the Bison and Simple pump but just can't justify the price of it!! I have all the tools lathe , mill, welding equipment I was wondering if anybody has ever attempted something like that and where could I get plans for it or at least design idea and components any info would be appreciated,

Paul

So here is the situation I would like to build my own hand pump to be able to pump from 100 ft max, I have seen the Bison and Simple pump but just can't justify the price of it!! I have all the tools lathe , mill, welding equipment I was wondering if anybody has ever attempted something like that and where could I get plans for it or at least design idea and components any info would be appreciated,

Paul

Do you have a link to this 'Bison&Simple' pump, and is the 100'max referring to head (lift), or horizontal distance ? M

Do you already have a cylinder, pipe and rods in the well, or will all this be part of the deal?
Typical design for a 100' well, is 1" or 1.25" pipe with 3/8" or so rod between the cylinder and the head.
100' of head is about 43 psi, so if you have a 1.5" dia. cylinder, the pull on the rod will be about 82 lb for the water + 38 lb for the rod = 120 lb total.
If your pump handle has a mechanical advantage of say 6:1, it will take 20 lb force on the end of the pump handle to run the pump.
I see that a place called "Windmill Parts" has cylinders on EBay for about $200.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pump-Well-C...812?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af063eb6c
The cylinders and pistons are traditionally made from brass. I guess it would not be too difficult to design and build one.
The pump jack on top of the well is the easy part. It is just a hollow part with a spout and a lever handle to operate the cylinder at the bottom of the well.
In former times, the jack was simply made from wooden boards.
Terry S.

Back