Half Nuts And Gib Installation

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am about to put the apron back together, what is the proper way to lube the parts? Grease or oil?

If there is an oiler button to the part, use oil. If not, grease...so long as the viscosity won't interfere with operation.

How about the slots in the half nuts for the pins, are those greased?

How about the gib, run dry or greased?

I greased my half nuts and gibs, as I didn't have an owner's manual that said not to. Many people say to oil liberally as you put it back together.

I'm in a hot desert, with no temperature control around my equipment, so I used grease. Oil may be a better choice for your lathe.

I greased my half nuts and gibs, as I didn't have an owner's manual that said not to. Many people say to oil liberally as you put it back together.

I'm in a hot desert, with no temperature control around my equipment, so I used grease. Oil may be a better choice for your lathe.

Thank you.

I used moly grease.

Bamban, If you use grease on any milling machine or lathe, the grease will eventually mix together with fine metal shavings and will form a grinding paste, which will cause premature wear on mating parts. Besides that, grease will also tend to attract dust and sand, aggravating the wear of mating parts. If in doubt, use way oil to lubricate your machine. Way oil is designed to stick to metal surfaces, even if you use water and soluable oil cutting fluid and also protects against rusting. Oiled parts are easy to clean and re-oil. In my humble opinion, "OIL" only. Geoffrey.

Bamban, If you use grease on any milling machine or lathe, the grease will eventually mix together with fine metal shavings and will form a grinding paste, which will cause premature wear on mating parts. Besides that, grease will also tend to attract dust and sand, aggravating the wear of mating parts. If in doubt, use way oil to lubricate your machine. Way oil is designed to stick to metal surfaces, even if you use water and soluable oil cutting fluid and also protects against rusting. Oiled parts are easy to clean and re-oil. In my humble opinion, "OIL" only. Geoffrey.

Thank you.

I might take it apart and replace the grease with way oil.

Back