Hairbrained Motor Retrofit Idea

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Was just doing some brain storming :banghead::headscratch: I'm sure if you look in the direction of Middle Tennessee you'll see a large plume of smoke:lmao:

Why couldn't I fit a 3 HP Porter Cable router with variable speed to my mill making it have even more speed control?

I could make a new shaft for the pulley that would fit the 1/2" collet on one end and the pulley on the other end.

I have heard of some people (and I am thinking of doing this as well) adding routers to their CNC machines for use as "engraving spindles" for use with small diameter cutters when cutting soft materials like aluminum and wood.

If you mean putting a pulley and belt I dont think it would hold up to the side load ;) BUT if you direct drive on a jack shaft and let the jack shaft take the side load:drool:

I would think it wouldn't be much different side load than a raised panel cutter or any other large cutter hogging out some hardwood

Is it really 3 hp? Many of the manufactures are inflating the advertised power which is just before stall vs the real hp which is the watts used. The average router motor is more like 1.7 hp after removing the 30-35% loses and only 1800 watts available on a typical 120 volt wall plug.

1 hp = 746 watts
1800/746=2.41 hp
2.41x.70=1.68 hp

Would be better to use a 3ph motor with VFD or a DC motor with controller.

Is it really 3 hp? Many of the manufactures are inflating the advertised power which is just before stall vs the real hp which is the watts used. The average router motor is more like 1.7 hp after removing the 30-35% loses and only 1800 watts available on a typical 120 volt wall plug.

1 hp = 746 watts
1800/746=2.41 hp
2.41x.70=1.68 hp

Would be better to use a 3ph motor with VFD or a DC motor with controller.

I would love to go that route but my shop is in a storage unit with only 110 power.
I have a perfectly running 3ph on it now & may be trading for a single phase but I'm a bit impatient :panic:and want to get this to my shop & making chips anytime I want to

You have 110 volt and a 3ph motor on the mill.
What volt for the motor-220?
Do you have only a single 110 to the shop or do you have the capability to run 2 110s one from each leg of the main power feed and get 220 1ph?

You have 110 volt and a 3ph motor on the mill. What volt for the motor-220?

Maybe something like this. Get a transformer to give you 220 and use a VFD.

You want to give me a little more info on the transformer? I may be able to get the unit owner to run me 220 & if not I spring for it myself.

Back