Hager tool cutter grinder

dlane

Active User
Registered
thinking about going and looking at one, anyone have any experience with one , it's a CL add in sac /
rancho Cordova . He also has a chevalier surface grinder are they any good
Thanks

Hi Derrick,
I had seen the surface grinder, and I thought that looked like a pretty good deal, but only if you can convince yourself that the spindle is in good condition and the motor runs. I would want to see it run and grind a couple parts. Does not look like it comes with much besides the spindex. I thought Chavalier was Chinese, but I have a friend who has one, and he says his is made in USA. Maybe both out there???
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6132051821.html

The other grinder is actually a tool and cutter grinder, without much visible regarding attachments. Without the various attachments, tool and cutter grinders can't do much. It does not have tool rests and does not cut on the side of the wheels as it sits. It can work as a carbide grinder, and it might be worth buying at that price, if you can see it run and if it runs smoothly. In that case you would have a heavy duty carbide grinder at a good price if you have room for it and are willing to make it into what you want it to be.
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6132048168.html

The surface grinder is a chevalier fsg 612 with mag chuck , and spin dexer
It is three phase , can u run a surface grinder on a vfd ?.
No 3 phase where grinder is so I won't be able to run it , anything I should be aware of or look out for?
Don't really need a surface grinder but I like tools
The Hager diamond tool cutter grinder is 110 and looks like a good one , I hope
He's holding them for me till tomorrow
Thanks

The surface grinder is a chevalier fsg 612 with mag chuck , and spin dexer
It is three phase , can u run a surface grinder on a vfd ?.
No 3 phase where grinder is so I won't be able to run it , anything I should be aware of or look out for?
Don't really need a surface grinder but I like tools
The Hager diamond tool cutter grinder is 110 and looks like a good one , I hope
He's holding them for me till tomorrow
Thanks
yea but you can alway run a phase converter. static or rotary.

Thanks Bob , Jeff , unfortunately no three phase there to run surface grinder,
He said he got them from a shop that closed down , so he doesn't know a lot about them

Thanks Bob , Jeff , unfortunately no three phase there to run surface grinder,
He said he got them from a shop that closed down , so he doesn't know a lot about them
sorry I didn't read that correctly.

I am running my surface grinder off a basic VFD, and it works great. Slower speed makes wheel act softer, faster makes it act harder. Have it set so I stay under the maximum wheel speeds, 3600 rpm. Just modified an $10 import diamond cup wheel to fit the hub adapters for the grinder so I can sharpen scraper blades and other carbide tools, and I run it at 10-15 Hz, nice and slow for cool and gentle honing. My surface grinder would lose much of its functionality if it had to run at one speed. I would have a VFD on it even if I had three phase, which I do not.

I would be quite wary of buying a surface grinder where you cannot run up the spindle. If you want I can meet you there and add an extra set of eyes to help evaluate the machines, Derrick. I probably have more experience with grinders.

Thanks all , Bob sorry I'll have to pass on them , other things came up

Back