Had a great day at the scrap yard today

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
I got a nice Dorian boring bar and a Medium Noga Mag Base with Articulating arm as well as a few used HHS and carbide end mils and M10 taps. I also got some 1 1/8 square bar stock of an alloy I am not familiar with; A105 A350 LF2 Does anyone know how well this will machine?

Nice haul; wonder why someone returned the boring head?

I want to go scrapping with you! Our yard never has anything that cool, just old lawnmowers, bicycles, chainsaws, and junk cars. Not even the odd tractor part. People hold on to their good junk.

Import boring head, more than adequate for my work. I will just need to make an adapter.
I want to go scrapping with you! Our yard never has anything that cool, just old lawnmowers, bicycles, chainsaws, and junk cars. Not even the odd tractor part. People hold on to their good junk.
First you need to find a scrap yard that deals mainly in industrial scrap. Show up in work boots long pants safety glasses and a hard hat and tell them you want to purchase scrap for cash. Mid morning on week days seems to be their slow time. In Houston there is a foreign corporation buying up scrap yards, all of my favorite ones no longer sell to individuals and even the private ones that will let me in usually turn most other people away. It takes a lot of looking to find anything useful I am trying to find some upstream sources to purchase material before it reaches the scrap yard.

Back