Gunsmiths Must Read Changing By Stroke Of Obama's Pen July 22, 2016

Les B

Active User
Registered
https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...tration-releases-latest-executive-gun-control

Go to this link and read the links on changes for anyone working on guns. This could be the end of hobby gunsmithing as we have had for years. If you make any changes using a lathe for making a gun part you will need the required license of $2250 per year. This will really make your blood boil. I hope that this is posted in the correct place as we need the people to start writing to the reps in Washington DC

What makes you think this affects hobby gunsmiths?

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

What makes you think this affects hobby gunsmiths?
Because when it comes to enforcement and the Feds, hobbyists don't exist.

If you accepted a *handshake* for mounting a scope, or if someone brought over a six pack while you honed a trigger, that can easily be interpreted as "compensation for the purposes of this act" and throw you right smack into non-hobby status. It's been done many times. Even the IRS uses that one.

All that said, there's a reason this order isn't being made a really big deal. The NRA stance is, as usual, exactly right. This has the potential of huge government overreach. All it takes is a leftist, anti-gunner with a federal prosecutor on a leash. As is, the order is about ITAR conformity.

ITAR is a big, convoluted, international act that has many twists and turns. But one thing that is fairly well defined is a "defense article". M-16 is such an article, but thus far, the AR-15 is not. So, one might say, "no problemo! I do AR work not M-16/4 work. Can't touch me."

Not so. This is where the overreach begins. Because it could be interpreted, if broadly enough, that the barrel is identical and how would anyone know you're NOT working an M16? Same with dozens of other parts right down to the pins and springs. Therefore, you're in violation of ITAR for "manufacturing defense articles". OBTW, "manufacturing" is only vaguely defined in ITAR as opposed to the BATF who has a nice distinction. For yourself, you "make"... for others, you "manufacture". Easy.

These wouldn't be something they come after you for, but "stack-on" charges for anything from tax liens to wetlands acts. So while it looks like it'd be easy enough to beat without incarceration, as usual, the nightmare ordeal could easily drag out for three or more years and, as usual, with the Feds the process *is* the punishment, win, lose, or draw.

And like all similar orders, it'll just sit there. This won't launch thousands of new cases next week. This will just sit until everyone forgets about it. Then, from time to time, you'll read about some poor citizen being leaned-on and accused of "manufacturing defense articles" and, lucky for you, the jackboots shut him down by force. The Media will then make it sound like he was building RPGs in his livingroom and you'll never know that he was just the latest subject of a Fed Prosecutor that didn't want to relocate, yet.

Is this order a big deal? It will be if you're that poor victim. That's how expanding bureaucracy works. Pick us off one at a time. Otherwise, no, not a big deal.

Wrat

Just think how much this registration will add to the cost of having work done. Small local gunsmith might have to tack a lot on the cost of work.Big shop not so much since it's only about $10 per day. Is the charge for each gunsmith in a shop or registration for the whole shop?
Add up charges to own a gun - ammo tax, insurance, license fees - and they won't have to repeal the Second Amendment because you just won't be able to afford owning a gun.

How does this affect you if you're working on your own personal firearms? Or does it?

I didn't find anything that says you are OK for your own work.. I was a fulltime gunsmith before the 1967 Laws passed. Wrat has explained it very good and I hope all will go to the link and find the orders written and released on July 22. I wonder how long it will be before a group files a suit on how unfair this policy of stopping all hobby gun work. I think they are after the person who is building AR 15 type rifles from parts. The article does mention black powder guns are not included. Next they will say no more black powder. My working days are over and you younger people had better listen.

The easy answer is both yes and no.

This does effect both gunsmiths and hobbyists. If you read carefully DDTC applies this to not just FFL holders, also it specifically states that it requires only one instance of any of the “offending” actions to require ITAR registration. And, oh by the way, this ruling is retroactive.

I strongly recommend that you read the complete registration requirements.

Excerpted from ITAR Registration Requirement to Firearms Manufacturers

2. Registration Required – Manufacturing: In response to questions from persons engaged in the business of gunsmithing, DDTC has found in specific cases that ITAR registration is required because the following activities meet the ordinary, contemporary, common meaning of “manufacturing” and, therefore, constitute “manufacturing” for ITAR purposes:
a) Use of any special tooling or equipment upgrading in order to improve the capability of assembled or repaired firearms;
b) Modifications to a firearm that change round capacity;
c) The production of firearm parts (including, but not limited to, barrels, stocks, cylinders, breech mechanisms, triggers, silencers, or suppressors);
d) The systemized production of ammunition, including the automated loading or reloading of ammunition;
e) The machining or cutting of firearms, e.g., threading of muzzles or muzzle brake installation requiring machining, that results in an enhanced capability;
f) Rechambering firearms through machining, cutting, or drilling;
g) Chambering, cutting, or threading barrel blanks; and
h) Blueprinting firearms by machining the barrel.

I posted the links above for all to read and try to understand the meaning. It is confusing and different people can read for their own benefit. I see this as a start to stop the gunsmiths from most work as we know it as of today.
I will just wait and see the lawyers decide who will get to be first to the high courts. I sure it will go to the top in DC.

$1,000,000 fine and 20 years is the penalty. Please, please let there be a change in November! I believe ATF has already ruled any 07 has to have the ITAR registration.

Last edited:
Back