• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Groups- An Underutilized Resource

Management

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/group.php?tabid=86&tabid=86

or go to Members>Groups on the Menu at the top

Many of you don't know this, but the forum software allows us to create many groups. These can be devoted to different interests, machines, or geographic locations of users, i.e., New York Hobby Machinists, etc.

The groups allow discussions, albums, and many other features. I will be activating all of these, and encourage you guys to start groups and use them for online get-togethers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chucketn

Toxic Lunatic & Psychotic
I'm willing to try to get the ball rolling. I created a local group for members within 250 miles of Kingsport, TN. Purpose of the group is to encourage exchange of info, organize get-togethers, etc.

Chuck

Daver

Active User
That would be a great way to share 'localized' information as well.
ie. great deal on Craigslist or Ebay that is close. (a lot of the stuff we look for doesn't ship well)

GaryK

In Memory
Rest In Peace

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/group.php?tabid=86&tabid=86

Many of you don't know this, but the forum software allows us to create many groups. These can be devoted to different interests, machines, or geographic locations of users, i.e., New York Hobby Machinists, etc.

The groups allow discussions, albums, and many other features. I will be activating all of these, and encourage you guys to start groups and use them for online get-togethers.
You really need to put a link somewhere. How do you find them?

Charley Davidson

Active User
I'm willing to try to get the ball rolling. I created a local group for members within 250 miles of Kingsport, TN. Purpose of the group is to encourage exchange of info, organize get-togethers, etc.

Chuck
Just my luck, I'm 251 miles away

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
You really need to put a link somewhere. How do you find them?
Click on the "Members" button above. Then select "Groups" from the sublist on the line just below the buttons.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
I just created a new group for persons generally located in or near the upper Mississippi River Valley, which includes folks from Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and northern Illinois. It will be a good place to post notices about local get togethers, machines for sale in the area, etc. Political boundaries are not a limiting factor for joining, however, and we'll accept anyone that wants to join. You can access the group here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/group.php?groupid=7

Richard King

I just created a new group for persons generally located in or near the upper Mississippi River Valley, which includes folks from Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and northern Illinois. It will be a good place to post notices about local get togethers, machines for sale in the area, etc. Political boundaries are not a limiting factor for joining, however, and we'll accept anyone that wants to join. You can access the group here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/group.php?groupid=7
I would think we need to follow the basic rules set forth in the Home forum. If some only want to get together in small groups and have coffee that's OK too. It is nice to have a local friend who can come over with an invitation.....Just in-case you need some help lifting, machining, BS'ing....ha ha.

I was thinking a yearly get together and possibly have a swap meet. I was wondering if Nelson and some of the original members have ever had a "Get Together" ? A yearly convention...hmmm I wonder if that would be tax deductible and if we can have it in Florida in January ?

Rich:drink2:

Chucketn

Righto88, Walltoddj, and I have started another E.TN group centered a little more south of me, neat Morristown, TN. No interest shown in the group I started centered around Tri-Cities area. We need to have a way to publicise groups better.

Chuck

- - - Updated - - -

Chuck
One of the earlier posts in this thread, I created the group but it doesnt show in the group listing. Guess I did something wrong. righto88 sucessfully created a group for E.Tennessee area.

Chuck

Walltoddj

Active User
Just my luck, I'm 251 miles away
There is another way depending where we meet I'm in Jefferson City and righto88 in Morristown which are close to the middle. I see a couple others in Knoxville so it all depends are where we end up meeting but you are welcome to join us.

Todd

righto88

Active User
Chuck I never did see that group you started. But now there is one for the East Tennessee area and I feel we are off to a good start.
If anyone is in the East Tennessee area please join us and contribute to our growing group of fellow hobbyist. As a new group starting off
we need participation and interest. Our hope is for close friendship and helping one another in our pursuits of a great lifetime hobby.
Even the ones in the area that may not have anything but an interest are welcome. You may not have a screwdriver or drill and I am sure you
will feel at home by joining our group.
Warm weather is just around the corner and lets make some plans and have some input on ideas to make this a great experience.

John

Chucketn

John, I just went back and looked at the date on my origional post. One day less than a year ago! Hope we get this one going.

Chuck

Nels

Founder/Mechanic
Staff member
Awesome!

The Groups can now be accessed more easily from the "For Members Tab"

Container Above bottom breadcrumb