Grizzly vs Presision Mathews

Matt stocks machines from both Taiwan and from China. There will usually be a "T" suffix in the model number for Taiwanese machines.
Thank you for the information. Very nice to know.

I am not aware of any of the Grizzly lathe models that are made in Taiwan, other than their Southbend branded ones. Not sure how you are going to be having hands on with both side by side, they are also completely different lathes. In addition models may look the same or very similar, but each distributor specs their machine builds, so there may be physical and QC difference that you would not be aware of. The other end to keep in mind is warranty period, service and parts. Machines are built to a price point, so one cannot expect the same new build quality on a lathe that sells for 1/2 the price.

There is also a plethora of information in the posts in this forum and others to gauge the pros/cons of the different models. Having previously owned the 1340GT, and also having hands on experience (and also installing numerous control systems for different lathes) with a range of other lathes from different manufactures, PM ranks at the top of the list in my experience. Eisen is also up there, as I know a number of other people that have purchased their machines from them and also have had any issues quickly resolved.

Thread from 2013 and Precision Matthews is still a forum sponsor. The owner answers questions directly on here.

Don’t know about his mustache or luthier skills though ;)

John

Back