Grizzly Surface Grinder anyone got one G 3155?

Doubleeboy

Active User
Registered
Greeting, Once again I have bug for surface grinder. As dearly as I would like to have a Mitsui none around here, closest is Portland and its a bit over priced. I don't need a machine to run 2 shifts a day but I do want it to be able to do good work. I have my eye on the G3155. I realize its made in China and will not be top grade but that said I have seen people do good work on Chinese machines. If anyone has any experience with this machine I am all ears to hear about your experience.

Thank you
michael

How much do you want to spend?
Have you looked at the Tormach?

I have seen the Tormach, its a table top 2000 dollar grinder that they put auto feed steppers on, put it on a stand and doubled the price, on top of that it has a single phase motor which is a deal killer for me. I am of the belief that there is a reason that no reputable machine tool makers make grinders with single phase motors, bad doodoo in my book. So Tormach is out. It looks like in new equipment I could swing Grizzly maybe Acer, possibly Sharp if someone wants to deal. Matt at PM can get me nice stuff out of Taiwan but his unfortunately have column travel handwheel mounted on column, about the dumbest thing I have seen in machine tools, others do it but if you look at the big boys Mitsui, Parker, all three handwheels are right in front of operator, no reaching over machine or having to walk around it to dial in the next grind. The Grizzly is made to a price point I realize that and am sure there are compromises and it is likely a bit of a kit like most stuff from China... that said it has 3 phase, ball roller table, big motor, weights close to a ton, all attributes I would like. If someone has one or has used one I would love to hear about their experiences.

No experience with that grinder, but it looks good on paper. Big boy, though. I assume you will be doing large enough work to need it(?) Decent mag chucks that size are big bucks...

Not sure if this is considered "thread resurrection" but I recently purchased a used one. Got a great deal on it, considering it needs a new belt for the x traverse, and the grinding wheel hubs. I checked runout on the spindle and it wasn't measurable with .0005 dti or .01 mm dial indicator. It came with the mag chuck but not the coolant system. It seems like a very capable machine though. Much more casting than the 6x18s I've seen.

Back