• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Grizzly Go 727 Horizontal/ Vertical Mill

harryhall

Swarf
Registered Member
I am looking real hard at the grizzly 727. I currently have a large grizzly lathe (the shop backbone) but, my mill is a small taig mill. I need a mediam size mill for general hobby work. I like the horizontal aspect of the 727 and it is robust for its size. Can anyone who has had experiance with this mill abvise me. How well does it cut steal and aluminum. Does it fly cut well? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

hman

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
I don't have one of these, and all I know is what I found on the Grizzly website. If it were my decision, I'd be very concerned with the fact that this mill does not have a moveable spindle. The only vertical adjustment possible is by moving the table on its "knee." And that's pretty limited. Quoting from the web page: "Max. distance spindle to table: 6-½""

I don't know how important horizontal milling capability is for you. If it's not, may I suggest you consider the Grizzly G0758 ($865, still a bit limited at 9" max spindle to table), or the pricier G0704 ($1225), or the Little Machine Shop 3990 ($896) as possible alternatives. And as always, be aware that tooling, fixtures and goodies will probably cost you as much as the mill itself.

harryhall

Swarf
Registered Member
Thank you for your input. Yes, you are correct, there is very little working space under the spindle. I know from experiance that little working space relates to allot of agrevation during setup. My current mill is a taig mini mill. It is a great machin, but it is designed for small work. I must say that in it's class I think it is the best. The 727 seems to have a great deal of cast iron built around a small footprint. This may give it an edge in obtaining smooth and acurat finish work. But, still again, little work space. With horizontal cutters and a low proofile milling vise, or, mounting work with a spigot cut into stock may help things. GEEZE, what to do. The mills you sugested seem to be good machines. Yet, they are still limited. I guess if I decide to dedicate the funds the griz GO761 would be about as much machine as I can offord at this time. I think this machine would work very well with just about any project I tackle. MUST PONDER THIS SUBJECT MORE. Hope I dont get a migrain. The strain may be more than I can take!

kingmt01

I have to say that is a neat little mill but setup space would be a killer. I have something like the G0728 & I always ran into not having enough room. I ended up with something way bigger & so far I haven't ran into trouble with running out of room & there is still options for movement I haven't had to use. I live a big mill.

I understand not having the buck but if you can hang in until Black Friday/Cyber Monday you might find much more medicine for the same dollar. I got one heck of a deal through Enco so maybe MSC can do better also.

I learnt early on that you decide what the biggest you might ever have a use for is then consider something twice the size but buy as much as you can scrape up the money to get.

tomh

Hi
Not much help here
but
When you do a comparison of the X Y Z measurements, according to the lathesuk web site, the 727 is some what a clone of the old atlas horizontal mill. Maybe someone who has a atlas can confirm it, but I would think that if the atlas worked than the 727 will also. The 727 vertical attachment has me puzzled with what you would with it, but the atlas also had a vertical attachment so there is a use for it I guess. I would suggest that you consult some of the atlas horizontal mill users and see what they say its pros and cons are; who knows it might fit the bill for you. Myfordboys little mill is about the same size from what I can tell and he does some amazing builds with it:encourage:.