Grizzly Gear Type?

blaser.306

Active User
Registered
I have a King 10x22 lathe that started making some noises that I did not like. Upon further investigation I determined that the 104 tooth gear somehow has some partial tooth breakage? All of which are to one edge, just to keep going I reversed the gears orientation, and all seems fine and quiet. My question to those in the know, Will the change gears on a G0602 be standard (DP) or metric( Module) as I am considering buying the needed cutter to make a replacement. If metric from what I have been able to cipher it will be a 106mm diameter , 1.0 module #7 cutter for 55-134 teeth or if a "standard " involute gear 8(DP) and #2 55-134 tooth cutter I also will need to find the proper pressure angle, 14 1/2 deg. or 20. The module cutters I found listed are only the 20 deg. pressure angle. Any help / insight is appreciated . Thanks in advance.

Can't help you with the cutter into, but I would suggest also looking carefully at the geartrain to try to see why that gear failed.

I can't help you with what cutter that you need but be careful if you buy any of the "new" cutters from China. Some of the manufacturers in China have the cutter numbers reversed from what is "standard". No big deal if you buy the complete set but could be a problem if you only buy one cutter thinking it's the one you need.

Mike

Can't help you with the cutter into, but I would suggest also looking carefully at the geartrain to try to see why that gear failed.
I believe this to have been my fault by not having proper lash at the gear train when operating the lathe, causing the gears to "skip" the cutter info that I have as to the #'s listed are from KBC tools catalogue. My real question is as to whether the gears in the change gear set are involute ( standard ) , module ( metric ) or does it even matter?

You are on the right track.

My experience has been that DP14 & DP16 are typically 14.5 degree and everything else is 20 degrees. I don't think I have ever seen an option of 14.5 and 20 degrees for a single DP or Module.

A quick measurement of the gear OD would settle the question of what Module or DP it is.

If it is M1 or M1.5, then there is a good chance you can find a stock gear and would not need to cut your own. If it is M1.25, then you will be cutting your own gear.

I might be wrong, but it was my understanding that all module gears were 20 deg.

All the module cutters I can find are 20 deg. How is the best way to tell whether this gear is involute or module ? The OD is 4.166" or 105.82mm And yes I can likely just order a gear from Grizzly, But I think that everyone here can at one time or another admit to spending a day building a part or tool that is commercially available for very little money just to either say that they did it or to prove just how stubborn they were !

Involute is the gear shape. If it was made in the last 60 years, then it is involute.

The question is whether it is metric (Module), or Diametric Pitch (DP). Same difference as Metric vs SAE in hardware.

A 104 tooth gear 105.822mm in diameter would have a Module = Dia/(Teeth+2) = 105.88/106 = 0.999

A 104 tooth gear 4.166" in diameter would have a DP = (Teeth+2)/Dia = 106/4.166 = 25.44

It looks like you have a metric Module 1.0 gear.

The g0602 gears are module!
Been down that road with the 602 gears. I also discovered that the 11x27 G9972z lathe has the same gears as the 602 but with different tooth count so I ordered some gears with a different number of teeth for the g9972z and used them on the 602 to get different thread and feeds .

Go to the projects in metal forum and search the 602 gears there is a discussion on the module pitch size of the plastic and metal gears, sorry I don't remember the pitch:frown:

Last edited:
I have a Husky PC36 (Taiwan) and had a broken change gear tooth. I found that a gear from a Grizzly lathe was exactly the same as my gear. It was a 20 degree, not metric. Not sure about your lathe, but if you get a manual for the Grizzly lathe and call the tech department and ask for the dimensions for the gear they have, you can compare it to yours. At least that is what I did.

Back