Grizzly G4016 lathe motor help needed

EPCCCC

Registered
Registered
Hello, can anyone post a pic or sketch of a Grizzly G4016 lathe motor wire lay-out? I'm looking for the four wires connected on top of the motor block. My old block got smashed in a move. I have an identical 220-volt, dual capacitor 2HP motor I ordered but cannot figure out which wires went on which stud. The motor plate wire layout riveted on the motors are identical on the new and old motors but is of no help at this time.
Coming from the lathe breaker box, I have a
Blue wire marked U4.
Brown wire marked Z2.
Black wire Z1
Red wire marked U1.
Thank you!

This should work: Use black or brown- whichever gives the correct direction
Tape off the unused one
G4016w.jpeg

Thanks for the info Mark. That looks very close to what I need but I failed to mention my machine uses contactors in the breaker box to do the forward and reverse of the motor. I do need to re-hook up that 4th wire. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Hello all,
Some updated info and I think its fixed? This lathe was dropped 11 years ago on its motor and parked, so I am a little foggy on how it was originally wired up.
This said, I hooked up the wires as Mark suggested and it runs great. My drum switch (apron lever) turns motor forward and reverse just as it should. Swapping out the black and brown just reverses the order of the switch and jog button.

I am still perplexed why I have this extra (brown or black) wire coming out of the breaker box. The crude Grizzly schematic does show 4 wires (plus ground) traveling to the motor, they just don't show individual assignments on the motor block posts. Not sure if it was taped off at the motor wire block or what?

Anymore thoughts on this matter are greatly appreciated and thank you again Mark for your help!

Motors configured for 120 volts need 4 wires to reverse. Only 3 are needed for 240 because of the way the start leg is connected/utilized
The factory at times seems unable to document this correctly on some of the manuals I have seen, including this one

Last edited:
OK, I will tape up the 4th mystery wire and move on. Thanks again!

Back