Grizzly G4000

Forty Niner

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I'm trying to make a decision about a lathe that has come up for sale in this area.

It is a Grizzly G4000 with standard accessories. Tag shows it is a 2006 model, therefore it is 10 years old. It looks as though it was seldom if ever used. Is it worth the asking price of $650?

New ones are around $1050 or so. Has the lathe been improved over the last ten years that buying a new one is advised?

I'm trying to make a decision about a lathe that has come up for sale in this area.

It is a Grizzly G4000 with standard accessories. Tag shows it is a 2006 model, therefore it is 10 years old. It looks as though it was seldom if ever used. Is it worth the asking price of $650?

New ones are around $1050 or so. Has the lathe been improved over the last ten years that buying a new one is advised?

That sounds like a reasonable price. I sold my G4000 about six years ago for $750 but it was loaded with extra tooling and upgrade features. If it was in my area I'd be looking at it.

Tom S.

Sounds reasonable to me, too. I bought a G4000 new in about 2006, sold it 2 years ago for $900 (with lots of tooling, upgrades and a good stand). Bought a 2008 model G4000 in 2013 for $600 that had very few goodies and a junky stand. Still have that one.

I don't know of any changes to the design over the years. Shucks, maybe an older one doesn't have as many "production cost saving" shortcuts as a newer one (though that's just snarky speculation on my part).

Assuming the one you're looking at is not worn out, you should be OK.

That is a good price especially if it is in good condition and runs smoothly.

-Denzil

I sold mine for $700 about a year and a half back. It was a good lathe and served me well for years.

Back