Grizzly G4000 lathe backorder advice

Paul Fithian

Registered
Registered
Wasn't sure if this was the new "normal" of current supply chain issues. I ordered a G4000 9x19 lathe on January 20.

So far Grizzly has advised timing as:
- On 1/24: Warehouse receipt 2/25 with delivery shortly thereafter
- On 2/7: Warehouse receipt 4/2 with delivery shortly thereafter
- On 2/21: Warehouse receipt 4/12 with delivery shortly thereafter
- On 3/27: Warehouse receipt 5/13 with delivery shortly thereafter

Should I explore another option to obtain a new 9x19 / 9x20 lathe?

Last edited:
In January I ordered some parts for my lathe. They all showed to be in stock. A day or two later I got an email that one piece was on backorder and should be delivered mid March. Then I got another email that it won’t be delivered until late May. Then I got another email a few weeks later telling me that it was delayed until the same date in May as the previous May date.

I replied to the latest email with my disappointment in Grizzly’s inability to support a currently produced lathe. I knew it wouldn’t change the delay but had to at least say that I really wasn’t OK with the service. They responded with a copy and paste of their previous email.

Everything seems to be on back order. Run in to it everyday in the auto repair industry. The replacement parts are almost non existent for 2022+ , some aftermarket junk is floating in.
Replacement parts are also have quality issues.
I can only imagine what the lower end lathe companies are dealing with.
I have very little patience to wait for tools and equipment when buying new.
IF I could ever buy a new lathe Im going to want to go see it in person and then search up parts.
I have a lathe thats olny 20 years old. A widely cloned machine to add and I am having hard time finding parts.

Sadly post covid - no one seems to give a hoot , hurry up and wait and you get what you get, not happy to bad.

Sorry thats just the vibe I have been getting across the board lately on all products

With a 20 year old machine, one should need new replacement parts, that is what is wrong with Chinese machinery.

Wasn't sure if this was the new "normal" of current supply chain issues. I ordered a G4000 9x19 lathe on January 20.

So far Grizzly has advised timing as:
- On 1/24: Warehouse receipt 2/25 with delivery shortly thereafter
- On 2/7: Warehouse receipt 4/2 with delivery shortly thereafter
- On 2/21: Warehouse receipt 4/12 with delivery shortly thereafter
- On 3/27: Warehouse receipt 5/13 with delivery shortly thereafter

Should I explore another option to obtain a new 9x19 / 9x20 lathe?
I would look at Ebay or Craigslist
I did last year purchase new lathe from Walmart great lathe.

Dave

Got a brand new '24 KTM off road bike and 3 out of the 5 oem parts i have on order are b/o status. This issue is world wide in all industries not just Grizzly. Were STILL trying to adequately replenish the goods supply chain even 3 years later post covid.

Paul, I think you will be much happier with that machine. One of my machines is a G9972Z which is very similar to the G9602. The only real differences afaik are the motor system and the bed length. Just a few days ago I turned down one end of a shaft that was about 20” long and weighed over 20 pounds. The smaller lathes couldn’t handle a job like that. There are tons of YouTube videos on that machine. James Clough (Clough42 on YT) is one excellent source.

as
With a 20 year old machine, one should need new replacement parts, that is what is wrong with Chinese machinery.
at this point if I cant fix it cheap or make the part I put money aside for a replacement. Make do with what I have

Back