Grizzly G0750G metal lathe preliminary observations

billooms

Active User
Registered
I recently received my Grizzly G0570G metal lathe. I've had some issues with it and I've started a new thread with my experiences and observations that I'll update as I go along

The G0750G is a direct descendent of the G4003G -- many of the part numbers are the same. The lathe may appear to be the same as the PM1236, but it is actually quite different. Talking with Mat, he says they are made in different factories. I asked for a copy of the PM1236 manual, but I never received it so I can't tell you all the differences.

When I called Grizzly back in May, they said they were out of stock and had 15 back-orders queued up. Earliest delivery might be in late June. I place my order on May 29 and received an email saying estimated delivery was pushed out to August 29. Then a few days later, I got an email that said it had in fact shipped on 5/31. Go figure! I guess the inventory people aren't connected well with the order desk.

It arrived in fine condition on 6/10. By the time I got it cleaned up and lifted up on the stand (with an engine hoist) it was a week later. They provided a multi-page listing of machine specs (run-out and such) along with actual measurements on my machine (all of which were well within the limits). It was a nice surprise having the factory measurements on my machine.

Doing the recommended spindle break-in, there was a lot of oil spewing out of a small hole in the headstock cover (apparently an air hole?). At the suggestion of Grizzly tech support, I plugged the hole and continued with the break-in. Then I noticed there was also a lot of oil leaking from the back of the headstock cover onto the electrical panel. I removed the cover and discovered that the inside surface of the cover was not machined flat -- just the rough casting coming in contact with gasket. Furthermore, the cover was warped sufficiently so that it was not seating on the gasket. Grizzly agreed to send a replacement cover and gasket (should be here tomorrow). Note that these parts are the same as the G4003G machine, so this is not due to a design change. Probably just a result of them trying to get the machine out faster.

After the break-in period, the v-belts were generating excessive amounts of powdered belt material which turned to goo with the grease on the end gears. This was due to the finished surfaces of the pulleys having been painted and rough edges on the pulleys. I cleaned up the pulleys and that should take card of the problem. Grizzly is sending new v-belts.

One of the cam-lock studs for the faceplate were not threaded all the way -- Grizzly is sending a replacement.

At this point in time, I've not done any actual cutting. Once I get the replacement parts I'll be able to give it a better test drive. I have no complaints about Grizzly customer service through all of this. They've been very helpful. As I mentioned earlier, none of these things seem to be a result of the new design. More likely because of the rush to get machines out to people.

My biggest disappointment is that you still need to manually change end gears for cutting most common threads. I had thought that with all those knobs on the gear box one would be able to obtain just about any combination. I don't mind having to change an end gear for metric -- that's sort of expected to get the 127 tooth gear into play. With the "standard" end gears, you can only cut 4/8/16/32 and 5/10/20/40 tpi. For any other tpi one must change end gears (8 different ones provided). I don't understand why they put so many combinations on the gear box that don't translate into useful tpi. It's fine for setting various feed rates, but not for thread cutting. If you do a lot of thread cutting, you might consider other options.

Other annoyances -- the carriage handwheel moves the carriage about 0.665" per revolution. This is a strange number. If you need to move the carriage some precise distance (2.25" for example) you'll need to do some math or else set up a dial indicator to measure the distance.

The set screw for the graduated dial on the handwheel is very inconvenient -- its on the right when "0" is on the line. It's really hard to get an allen wrench under the cross slide handwheel to tighten it.

I'll add more comments later in the week as I (hopefully) get to do some cutting.

Sounds like a real winner! I have had no problems with my 16x40 Grizzly,but it was made in Taiwan and I bought it in 1986. I'd hate to ever have to buy any mainland Chinese machine. I did buy a Chinese Bridgeport type for work due to limited museum money. It was way too high on the front edge of the table. There is supposed to be a little extra height on the front edge of the table to allow for cutting pressure. This was way beyond spec.. I re wrapped it and sent it back to MSC.

Those lathes that have a QC box,but still require a bunch of gear changing to cut all the possible threads are really annoying. I saw a Kent that was really bad in that respect(and others too). I think it's just poor engineering.

Last edited:
Update: The replacement headstock cover came today -- it's the wrong size. Either they sent the wrong part, or else the part number in the manual is incorrect. The part number indicated that it was the same headstock as the 4003G. Now I'm thinking it's really a different design and they didn't update the part number in the manual.

Also, the quick change tool post is defective. It's not a Phase II tool post. One of the pistons is longer than the other and doesn't fully retract so you can't slide a tool holder onto the dovetail.

We'll see how they handle these problems.

Other annoyances -- the carriage handwheel moves the carriage about 0.665" per revolution. This is a strange number. If you need to move the carriage some precise distance (2.25" for example) you'll need to do some math or else set up a dial indicator to measure the distance.

The set screw for the graduated dial on the handwheel is very inconvenient -- its on the right when "0" is on the line. It's really hard to get an allen wrench under the cross slide handwheel to tighten it.

QUOTE]

so i'd betcha a 36" dro like I mounted on my atlas would mount on the back of your too. then you can forget a lot of the figuring on that level anyway. . .. : just sayin, and I have a bunch of them left.......
(a shameless sales plug by me)

davidh

I agree. A DRO would be best. I'll wait until I get this thing running and cutting before I make any modifications or additions to it.

Not that I need another lathe,but you are really discouraging me from getting another Grizzly!! My current 16x40 was made in Taiwan,and has been fine,but 1986 was when it was made,and I think things might have been better back then.

I would hock my soul for some good old American Iron... I have decided I really want a new mill, but unfortaunately I am going to have to take what I can afford which will be much less than I would really like to have. Oh well, better to have a little less than none at all....

Bob
EDIT..
I would hock my soul for just about any machine right now too. Didn't mean to cast any dispersions on Asian stuff, especially since all of mine came from Asia through Harbor Freight for the most part. I would be especially thankful for an "issue" free machine of whatever brand I manage to get. Sorry for not being completely clear in the above post and misleading anybody.

Last edited:
Bob,

While I love traditionalism, my soul wants me to get one of these in 1440 variable speed or, if I should win the lottery a 1640 variable version.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1660G.html

As far as new production manual lathes are concerned, this is about as good as they come. Pro-line stuff, 100%.

As for you and I... wherever our souls go when our bodies are done using them, I hope they each get the kind of equipment they want and don't have to worry about such worldly issues as being able to afford them...

Ray

I would hock my soul for some good old American Iron... I have decided I really want a new mill, but unfortaunately I am going to have to take what I can afford which will be much less than I would really like to have. Oh well, better to have a little less than none at all....

Bob

Wednesday update: The gasket and v-belts arrived yesterday and they were also the wrong parts. Grizzly agrees that their part numbers for the new G0750G must be incorrect and they are trying to sort out which are the correct part numbers (and then see if they can find the parts). The manual shows the parts are the same as used on the G4003G, but that is clearly not the case.

They are shipping a new quick change tool post out today.

They claim that this new machine is made in an ISO9001 certified factory. I'm wondering.

There seems to be some "new machine" bugs with the 750G. I don't know if I just got lucky but my G4003G that I bought a few months ago was near perfect. The setscrew on the motor pulley was loose and one of the cam studs on my 3 jaw needed to be turned in 2 more turns for a full lockup. Other than than that, it was good to go.

Back