Grizzly G0709 Question

Got my indicator set up from CDCOtools.com. I bought the 2" one listed below. My G0709 now has a DRO so the indicator is at my Clausing.

Bruce

upload_2016-12-2_19-51-24.png

Yep guys I think I'll just buy one of the indicators, but I'm 66 so I think I'll get a 2 inch, eyes aren't what they used to be. Anybody out there with one of these machines the G0709 have their GearBox leak a tad??

Hi Mike,

I've had my G0709 for a little over a year, no leaks at all. I couldn't be happier with my lathe.

Bruce

Yep guys I think I'll just buy one of the indicators, but I'm 66 so I think I'll get a 2 inch, eyes aren't what they used to be. Anybody out there with one of these machines the G0709 have their GearBox leak a tad??
Where is the leak exactly?

Well it looks like it is on the bottom of the gearbox. It is hard to see due to the way the lathe sits on the stand and the side gear box is located. It appears there is a seam where the front panel of the gear box is located and it may be leaking there....the oil is on the bottom of the gear box and leaks down into the chi[ tray. I put some sealant on the seam and glued a little piece of wood to the stand so I could see if it pools there. Eventually I will pull that cover and redo the whole thing.

Yep guys I think I'll just buy one of the indicators, but I'm 66 so I think I'll get a 2 inch, eyes aren't what they used to be.

The 2" isn't the dial diameter, but the length of travel. They all have the same size dial.

A 2" travel indicator is about 5" long, which can be inconvenient.

No oil leaks with mine.

Well it looks like it is on the bottom of the gearbox. It is hard to see due to the way the lathe sits on the stand and the side gear box is located. It appears there is a seam where the front panel of the gear box is located and it may be leaking there....the oil is on the bottom of the gear box and leaks down into the chi[ tray. I put some sealant on the seam and glued a little piece of wood to the stand so I could see if it pools there. Eventually I will pull that cover and redo the whole thing.
Have some permatex ultra black on hand when you tear it down to reseal it. That stuff works great and you don't have to have a replacement gasket. It looks like that gear box has the entire front face and a small panel on the lower right side that are removable in addition to numerous shafts and levers that exit the case. Hope you find it on the first try. But just in case, good luck tracking that bugger down.

Thanks for all the info guys, the permatex ultra black comment was exactly the type of comment I was looking for, I'll need a good sealer. Got about 2 ft. of snow last night so winter is here to stay, hoping to see the road grader coming up our road pretty quick otherwise we ain't going nowhere. Bout time to put the tree up and maybe watch a moose walk by, life is good. Remember the reason for the season guys.

Back