Grizzly G0709 On The Way!

OLEJOE

Registered
Registered
New member here with some questions about the 0709. I know it's big. I know it's heavy. But can someone tell me how it's packaged? Is it assembled or is it broken down? I'm new to machining but I think I can do it. Have friends who have worked in large machine shop. After reading some of the post on here, I'm sure I can figure out what to do. Oh. Did I mention G0709 is already on the way? I've done all the electrical on 2 houses and a shop. Completely plumbed 1 house and built from the dirt up 2 houses and a shop which I'm trying fill up. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Here's a video that shows exactly what you're asking:

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Glad it helped! We'll want pictures of your new lathe in your shop, you know.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

congrats, pics or it didn't happen!
:D :D

When the crate says "warning, top heavy" it means it.

Notice that the manual will specify doing a break-in of the spindle bearings (run it up for 10 minutes at each speed, starting with the lowest speed, takes a couple hours), then drain and refill the headstock.

If you don't have oil for that, Enco is a great place to buy it. Mobile Vacta 2 for the ways, and Mobile DTE Light for the headstock (gotcha: they sell DTE only in 5 gallon pails, but then the headstock takes more than a gallon). They always have it on sale, and there is a 20% off sale right now (Coupon:SAVE20).

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-1218
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-1987

Congrats! I really like my G0709. I added the taper attachment and a 5-C lever style collet closer. There are a couple of posts showing mine in this Grizzly forum. One recent mod was to add a shim under the LH side of the chip pan drawer glide to raise the LH side slightly. If you use coolant, a perfectly level lathe results in a nice puddle of coolant in the chip pan that goes nowhere. The shim made the RH rear corner/drain the low spot for draining.

Bruce

Back