Grizzly G0670 16x40 Taiwan Variable Speed Lathe

Coolidge, you might email Matt at Precision Matthews. 1.5 years ago, he quoted me the RML-1440 for $12750, and the RML-1640 for $13750 (free shipping). Of course, that might have been for the non-inverter versions, and it looks like the Grizzly version is the RML-1640V.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1660G.html

Wrt Grizzly vs. SB, they spent a lot more time on bondo of the casting before painting. The surface finish is a lot nicer on the SB... I am sure there are other difference more than skin deep, but the SB is definitely prettier looking. They have both those machines side by side in Bellingham.

Last edited:
I'll be looking at the SamChully, Bison, and if Darkzero starts trouble I'll post some Schunk chucks.
I personally have never heard of Samchully chucks until you posted about them. I've seen those ROTA chucks online, they seem to be aimed towards CNC machines but that's doesn't matter I suppose. I still favor Pratt Burnerd chucks though. Hearing what I've heard about Bison in the last few years, I doubt I would ever buy one again. Not that they don't make good chucks anymore, I just don't think think I would consider them going foward.

Pratt Burnerd & Kalamazoo (edit) is what I'd be looking at if I were to buy today. And for something more affordable I'd go with Fuerda/Gator. Yeah I know they're China but they are very decent chucks. Ever notice how many of their chucks these days look exactly like Bison? ;)

In fact I'm about to purchase another Gator chuck. I'm an idiot for second guessing myself, I recently bought a TMX Set-Tru chuck, figured it would be comparable to Fuerda's quality, & would be just a Chinese copy of the Bison-Bial line since they are the US importer of them. Damn was I wrong. Very disappointed, boxed that crap back up & shipped it back this morning.

Last edited:
So it looks likes it 'CE' certified that's something. ISO 9001 Factory, CSA, ETL, UL sorry Grizzly says no. From what I call that control panel on top pivots up out of the way on hinges. Its a fairly plane headstock with the gear change controls removed, that's not a bad thing. Anyone else like the idea of mounting a second E-Stop button on the tailstock side of the base out of the line of fire? If things have gone wrong and things are flying out of the chuck I don't want to be reaching up/back to this E-Stop button.

Anyone else like the idea of mounting a second E-Stop button on the tailstock side of the base out of the line of fire? If things have gone wrong and things are flying out of the chuck I don't want to be reaching up/back to this E-Stop button.

No need, there's a foot brake for that.

Hey tmarks11 I have been in touch with Matt on the PM RML 1640V. Matt notes "single phase power" on his website vs 3 phase power required for the Grizzly. I don't know if that's true for the PM variable speed lathes or not, I emailed him just now to find out. Note I'm not discussing his pricing as he has chosen not to publish the price so I want to respect that.

Last edited:
I personally have never heard of Samchully chucks until you posted about them. I've seen those ROTA chucks online, they seem to be aimed towards CNC machines but that's doesn't matter I suppose. I still favor Pratt Burnerd chucks though. Hearing what I've heard about Bison in the last few years, I doubt I would ever buy one again. Not that they don't make good chucks anymore, I just don't think think I would consider them going foward.

Pratt Burnerd & Kitagawa is what I'd be looking at if I were to buy today. And for something more affordable I'd go with Fuerda/Gator. Yeah I know they're China but they are very decent chucks. Ever notice how many of their chucks these days look exactly like Bison? ;)

In fact I'm about to purchase another Gator chuck. I'm an idiot for second guessing myself, I recently bought a TMX Set-Tru chuck, figured it would be comparable to Fuerda's quality, & would be just a Chinese copy of the Bison-Bial line since they are the US importer of them. Damn was I wrong. Very disappointed, boxed that crap back up & shipped it back this morning.

Samchully manufactured chucks for Kitagawa for many years, from what I read they know chuck manufacturing pretty well. Samchully is currently the manual chuck Haas sells for their TL1 CNC lathes. I like the two piece jaw design and you get both hard jaws and soft jaws. I priced a 9" for $1,160. http://www.travers.com/63-714-051

My mistake, I meant to say Kalamazoo. Kitagawas are nice but they are very expensive! I would never spend that much money for a chuck.

Ahahaha I hate it when darkzero makes me look stupid, gaaawwwd :bang head:

Nah, never. Just trying to make sure you don't try to do anything that's not necessary. I wish people would do the same for me too. I'm always being an idiot. :)

Here's a nice aerial shot, its the SB but its a nice shot of the T slots in the cross slide and triple V ways. Ahem that SB taper attachment...hold onto your socks...$1,675 ouch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back