1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Grizzly G0619 Mill Drill

Discussion in 'GRIZZLY INDUSTRIAL INC.' started by LX Kid, Feb 16, 2016.

1. LX Kid

LX Kid United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I've had my 6"x21" Mill/Drill for about 5 years now and put a table shuttle on it. Does anyone have a solution for raising the head assembly without getting a stroke? Mine really takes some crank work to raise it up. Coming down is no problem as it is "gravity at work." My left bicep is pretty strong from getting this work out! LoL Guess I'm gonna pull the back off and see if it needs cleaning and oiling anywhere. Maybe I even have my gib adjustments too tight but I really don't want gib too loose. I'll bet anything that is my problem though! (Gonna check that.)

(This might be a useless post. I think I just answered my own question!)

20160215_111207_resized.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. David VanNorman

David VanNorman United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Wind Ridge
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

I think I would put a little gear head motor and chain on that bad boy. Find a motor with enough snot to handle the load something that has forward and reverse and slow enough that you can control it.

3. tmarks11

tmarks11 Active User Active Member

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

I have heard those complaints before; don't think your problem is gigs too tight, just a poor design. Apparently the gearing associated with getting the z-axis control to the front of the table makes that a royal pain in the neck to raise.

Seems like I recall people putting pneumatic springs on the head or counterweights to solve some of that.

How about mount a stepper motor to the top of the column to drive the z-axis lead screw directly?

4. FLguy

FLguy H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Ft.Myers
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I have this mill also and I found the gib was bad so I've ground it to to get rid of a high spot and gouge. That made things better but not great so gas springs were added, pleasant improvement but still not satisfied, so from grizzly I bought a 8 inch handwheel,(matches others in style),now I'm very happy,sooo... easy now.

5. jim18655

jim18655 United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Shickshinny
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

Some people have put counter weights with pulleys on the ceiling. Some have used gas cylinders to take some of the weight. I have the same mill and I hate cranking it to the upper limit. I have a spare table drive, like you have, that I bought (it was nice having Grizzly tent sales so close) to use on the Z axis. One of these days I’ll get it installed.

6. LX Kid

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Maybe I'll get a larger hand wheel and see how that goes. I'll also pull the gib out and see if it has high spots on it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  7. LX Kid

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Tried it and it is more easy to raise the mill head "but" those big wide loops take "forever" to raise it quickly. Back to checking the gib for high spots.

20160217_210904_resized_1.jpg

8. LX Kid

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I removed the back of the headstock and cleaned the acme screw of the factory grease. I then used white lithium grease, spray can type, on it and used oil for the upper and lower bearings. I also sprayed the ring and pinion gear with the lithium grease. It did make quite a difference but am wondering how long the lithium grease will stay on the screw. I've ordered a couple of 50 lb struts to add on the sides as others have done. Surprised how easy it is to get to the workings as it only has four allen head screw to disassemble. I did find a lot of swarf back there. (Guess I moved when I took the pic.)

20160304_075641_resized.jpg

9. RodSME

RodSME United States Steel Registered Member

City:
    Cape Coral
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I have a G0619 that I bought used. I got real tired of cranking the Z axis hand wheel. I had an adaptor in my tool box that I bought cheap at Harbor Freight. The adaptor goes from 1/4 hex to 1/2" square drive. I couldn't find the exact product, but here is an expensive version: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200635643_200635643
    I use a 14mm socket driven by my corded drill to drive the nut on the Z-axis hand wheel. I had to make the nut real tight, but it hasn't backed out yet. Saved a lot of hand cranking. I made a "holster" out of some sheet metal that is secured to the side of my bench.

LX Kid likes this.
  10. LX Kid

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Great idea! Thanks

11. tmarks11

tmarks11 Active User Active Member

City:
    Port Orchard
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

duplicate cordless drill suggestion.

:D

12. LX Kid

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Tried out the drill for raising the mill head. Really works great! Glad to find that little tip to make life easier with the G0619. Thanks

13. Kraft-tek

Kraft-tek United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Oxford
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

I've had a G0619 for several years and had to chuckle at your comment about nearly having a stroke raising and lowering the head. Mine did/does the same thing. I had bought it with the intention of setting it up for cnc and after getting the Z as loose as I could without causing a lot of backlash I purchased Grizzly's Flashcut cnc kit for it. First let me say the kit is a breeze to install. Really simple. Second thing....it didn't work. The kit I bought was supposed to work with the G0619 but it was just too tight. So I started disassembly looking to hopefully get it working better. I haven't removed the head yet but I'm pretty sure the gib or way has a burr thats causing issues. Unfortunately (or fortunately :) ) I found an old Liberty router and started rebuilding it. I'm almost done with it and looking forward to getting back on the G0619.

14. RonWB1957

RonWB1957 United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Edwardsville
    State:
    Illinois

-Return to Top-

May be unrelated, really. But my G0619 sounds like a bearing is going out. Has anyone replaced the bearings in this machine? I am wondering if there are better bearings out there. Thank you.

15. LX Kid

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

Well I guess nothing is forever but my bearings are still sounding good. Remove bearings and find the number on them and do a web search for better bearing or same bearings.

16. DAT510

DAT510 United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    San Mateo
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Arceurotrade has a some great info on their site for the SX3 Mill. They also have bearing info, a dis-assembly guide and recommendations for mods to make replacing the bearings, in the future, easier.

I'll be needing to pull apart the spindle and replace the bearings on a Syil X3 CNC (a cnc'd verson of the SX3 mill) that I just picked up. I too will be looking to upgrade the bearing quality since the Syil conversion doubles the spindle speed to 3600, which is what I think toasted the factory bearings.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Projects-Articles

Hope this helps