Grizzly G0509G - 16" x 40" 3-Phase Gunsmithing Metal Lathe

M-Tecs

Registered
Registered
Hi

I recently retired from 40 plus years as a machinist/toolmaker. I am in the process of setting up my own shop. I did find a couple of nice used Bridgeport's that I purchased but I am having limited luck finding a lathe I am happy with on the used market.

I an strongly considering a Grizzly G0509G - 16 x 40 3-Pahse Gunsmithing Lathe but I have never touch one.

My question is for the people that own them or have ran them what are your thoughts on them?

Thanks, Joel

The G0509G is a very solid lathe and reviews by others is very positive. It is made in China, and when you get into that price range if buying new I think there are higher quality lathes to choose from. The ones below are made in Taiwan by SunMaster, and Grizzly also sells their versions of these under their higher end SB models. There are some variations between models and also different nomenclature on the models, so compare them carefully. I find going direct to the company for Kent and Acra (QMT sells direct), you typically get better pricing then through a distributor. I own a ERL1340 version of the 1440C and also have had hands on with some of the larger versions if you have any specific questions.

Quality Machine Tools has the PM-1440/1640TL

Kent has the RML series 1440VT, 1640T

Acra has the the 1440C and the 1440/1640 TE and TVS

I bought a G0750G 3 years ago,about the same features as the 509.Overall better choice than a well used older machine.One issue I ran into was on the cross slide gib rear adjustment screw was a sloppy fit in the counterbore.That let the gib run outside of the screw head causing a tight condition when trying to adjust for correct drag.Easy fix though.Very well satisfied with the machine having added DROS and a few personal touches.
MIke

Back