Grizzly 4003G Lathe Chatter Problem

Hey Mike,

Although I haven't gotten the lathe back to its absolute former glory, I did get it to where It was working well enough to hold a fairly tight tolerance and provide a reasonable finish. One of my buddies has a 4003G too and I used it while mine was taken apart. To my surprise, his lathe was providing finishes equal or worse than the ones I've been complaining about through this entire thread.He said that this was the condition it had been in since day one, He told me I was too picky! :lmao:

Regardless, I ordered some replacement bearings from Grizzly and had my machinist friend install those, he's replaced a lot of precision bearings and knows his stuff. It provides reasonable finishes with all of my tinkering now. I sold the lathe a few days back and showed the buyer the finishes, he was just fine with them.

So although this is a bit of an anticlimactic resolution to the entire thread, I would have to say it is concluded. I do appreciate the help though!

As for the customer service, I've found that thus far I haven't had the need to call in for any replacements or help with PM's machines so there hasn't been an opportunity to see weather he'll send me parts or not. I don't foresee having to test Matts customer service either in the foreseeable future, He has served me very well over my last two purchases.

Thank you everybody for any and all advice and information you provided for me. Although I was not able to fix the lathe to my personal satisfaction, I learned an absolute boat-ton of information along the way!

P.S. If you need someone to completely rip your 4003G apart and put it back together again, I'm your guy! :))

A valiant try James! Please let us know how the new lathe works for you.

WallyW

I am thinking of removing my headstock gears as many as possible I only need 1 Speed high speed....

I started reading this thread thinking it was a new one until I finally saw the date. Contract Pilot, sorry but I can't see any benefit from removing the gears you don't use.

As for the OP's finish problems, there have been multiple threads about this all over the web. Barring any defects (cracked cross slide, motor mount, etc) what most are finding is adding anti-vibration mounts between motor and mount negates most of their finish problems. I'm using the 9213K35 mounts from Mcmaster between motor and motor mount. Also, link belts from Harbor Freight. One thing no one mentioned in this thread though is the fact that maybe the OP's concrete floor had slightly moved or settled which will throw off lathe level. Another thing is when I still had my lathe sitting on rubber iso mounts I got some chatter. I anchored the lathe to the concrete and that made a huge difference, along with the motor mounts and link belts.

Please post the bearing changeout pics. That way we can benefit from your hard work. I was not able to find any bearing change for this model documented online.

MK

Yes, please do.

Back