Grizzly 0704 dead

I dont have that machine but my experiance with the boards has not been good I went through 5 of them Grizzly replaced everyone no questions asked but as soon as the warrenty ends and if I loose another board I will switch over to a board from a tread mill they are much more robust. I for one one almost bet it is the board several of mine just quit with no sign of damage on the board. On these sieg boards they dont use a FET or an SCR they use a Trench Semiconductor there a little differant but they do go bad these boards are not built very well.

If this is a brushless motor then the board is really differant you then have a ESC that basically turns the 120V into 3 phase square wave using PWM to control the motor a good substitute for this is built by Dart speed controls you will see them for sale on place's like Ebay fairly reasonable because they are not as common. Ray

Here is one it is for low voltage but you will get the picture. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dart-Contro...570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1de48e62

Last edited:
Arrangements have been made to pick it up on Sunday, Will start checking it out Monday and will be back in touch with those of you that offered help. Thank you

gary

I think you may be on your way to a 100% tool gloat when you get a chance to check it out. Ackems razor says most likely it is minor and you will come out on the good end of this deal for sure. Even if you end up needing to replace the board or do a belt drive your gonna come out ahead because you have a new machine to tinker with in your shop. So when you get er home and have a look don't forget to let all of us know what you find. And don't be surprised if it is the dumbest smallest little thing that most folks would over look. I worked on a truck for a few days till I finally found the short that was blowing the fuse, so be patient and you will reap the rewards in the long run.

Bob

My G0704 did that once, I actually ordered a switch thinking it burnt up and after changing it out and still no power, I noticed the fuse holder in the back of the control box. So now I have an extra switch and about 5 extra fuses for next time. Maybe you'll get lucky and just the fuse is blown.

I blew a fuse on my G0704 in the first few days of use. I foget what I was doing but I stalled the motor at low speed and it popped the fuse -- as it should have. I would check that first above all else.

After that I would look at the SCRs on the motor controller board. They should be mounted to the vertical part of the aluminum carrier that the circuit board sits on. Generally if they blew up (magic smoke got let out) you will see it in their plastic cases. It ranges from a pin hole to the case being blown apart. You won't miss the latter, you might miss the former. I have also seen the MOVs (circular disc) get blown on this style drive too. I've repaired at least a half dozon of these style of DC motor controllers. When I looked at mine, it looked like a Chinese copy of a KBIC controller board FWIW.

Ian

Well got I it home, Took off the back cover that has the power cord going into it, four Allen head screws, plugged in and check the white and black wires for 110 voltage, None. Unplugged and took the fuse out, Blown, So tomorrow off to the automotive store to see if the have a 10 amp fuse the correct length. If this is the only problem I will be lucky, The manufacture date is 06/12 and I have the manual with the warranty card. It had not been filled out or mailed in. Does Grizzly only sell these off the web site or do they have distributors.
It would be great if it was only a blown fuse, But I am not usually that lucky

Gary

I had to go to the electrical supply for the fuses, it is a bit smaller diameter than an automotive fuse.
I think your going to be pleased one you replace the fuse.

Well got I it home, Took off the back cover that has the power cord going into it, four Allen head screws, plugged in and check the white and black wires for 110 voltage, None. Unplugged and took the fuse out, Blown, So tomorrow off to the automotive store to see if the have a 10 amp fuse the correct length. If this is the only problem I will be lucky, The manufacture date is 06/12 and I have the manual with the warranty card. It had not been filled out or mailed in. Does Grizzly only sell these off the web site or do they have distributors.
It would be great if it was only a blown fuse, But I am not usually that lucky

Gary
They have a few retail locations. They don't sell to distributors. Get on thier website and check thier retail locations. I think you'll have to go to an electrical supply house for that fuse. You might get lucky at Home Depot, in the electrical dept. Automotive fuses are different.

I have not had to look at the fuse in mine, but I bet it is the same size as the mini lathes use (physically). That would be a 5mm x 20mm. If you have a Radio Shack store, they are usually a goods source. They used to be pretty hard to find, but are getting more common. Make sure you get a few extras, in case there is a short somewhere that took the fuse out. If you have to trouble shoot, you can use one of the outlet strips that has a built in breaker - they are usually 15 amp, and might trip before the fuse lets loose.

I'm willing to bet that the fuse is all you need to get back up and running. Especially since it has such a new production date and it was running and just shut down. If he hit a hard spot in the material or lugged the machine down trying to take a deep cut at low speed it will pop the fuse very quickly and easy as pie. Your local Radio Shack has those fuses and you need to make sure that you get the correct one for the application to insure the board is protected as well as capable of blowing the fuse if it gets overloaded again. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. It will be a score worthy of a tool gloat if that is all that is wrong with the machine.

Bob

Glad it was something simple like a fuse. Shouldn't have a hard time finding a replacement at a hardware store.

FYI, if the motor controller board goes out replace it with something like the KBIC-240D. It's a drop in replacement, better built, and cheaper.

Back