Grinding wheel alternatives

This pertains somewhat to what you are saying about wheels exploding. There is a test you can perform on your wheels to make sure they are OK. It's called the ring test. Hang the wheel from a non metallic arbor. (Dowel) Tap it with a non metallic object. You will hear a distinctive ringing. The wheel is OK to use. A dull thud and the wheel is no good.

"Billy G"

This pertains somewhat to what you are saying about wheels exploding. There is a test you can perform on your wheels to make sure they are OK. It's called the ring test. Hang the wheel from a non metallic arbor. (Dowel) Tap it with a non metallic object. You will hear a distinctive ringing. The wheel is OK to use. A dull thud and the wheel is no good.

"Billy G"

I have typically held a wheel on my finger and used a 3/16 or 1/4 allen wrench to ring a wheel. for no specific reason but I'm generally carrying an allen wrench in my pocket at work.

Using the finger is usually what everyone does. I use the dowel to ring because the metal could chip the wheel. On thin wheels I hit with my knuckle.

"Billy G"

Back