Grinding a bar for a boring head -

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I am working a project that I needed to bore a precise hole in a cast iron casting. Unfortunately the depth of the hole exceeded the boring bar lengths that I have for my Criterion boring head by 3/8". I decided to grind my own.

I had a piece of 1/2" diameter HSS tool blank handy and turned it into this bar. I simply copied the basic geometry of a Criterion bar and it worked like a charm.

finished ready to go.jpg

in the head.jpg

Video of the bar working:

EDIT: corrected video link

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! Unfortunately when I click on the link no video appears, though.

Bill

Nice job! I have been.thinking it would be nice to make up a set of HSS boring bars now after seeing yours another project has made the list. :encourage:

Nice work on the boring bar. See your building a die filer.

Greg

Nice work on the boring bar. See your building a die filer.

Greg
Yeap, it is a die filer. I have had a good time with it thus far. Referencing and machining a casting is fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job! I have been.thinking it would be nice to make up a set of HSS boring bars now after seeing yours another project has made the list. :encourage:
Todd, let the sparks fly!

When something falls out of a bit of the norm is when I think its definitely worth the effort and work put into a shop ground tool.

@mikey this tool was ground on Hermes belts, Ceramits and J-Flex. 40 and 80 Ceramits did the real work and the 80 J-Flex did the finish.

Nice job , eventually I want to build a filer myself. Have some ideas on upgrading.

Todd, let the sparks fly!

When something falls out of a bit of the norm is when I think its definitely worth the effort and work put into a shop ground tool.

@mikey this tool was ground on Hermes belts, Ceramits and J-Flex. 40 and 80 Ceramits did the real work and the 80 J-Flex did the finish.

Came out really nice, Alan. I noticed you put a positive lead on it, too - smart! The more I use these Hermes belts, the more I like them.

Back