Grinder Tool Rest

Good job , only it's backwards for me. I'm right handed lol. Now I like your slider should help keep all your angles close on the tool bits. Another addition to my one day list.

I've been thinking about what type of tool rest to build, and having seen a number of designs with similar supports I am wondering about stability and vibration. It looks like this kind of support could flex quite a bit, which would be a problem for some types of sharpening. I'm not being critical of your work, which looks really well done, just wondering how rigid it is and what options might be better. Having used this, what are your thoughts? If you were to make another one would you change the design to make it more stable?

Just thought that I would like share my newest project. I kind of copied this from others but it has my own twist. It is all aluminum and I started to get some of it polished. I included the two guide slots for future use. I did make one fixture. already and it is to grind brazed carbide cutters. I have a set of these cutters so this will help to resharpen them. The slide has the two different angles for the left or right cutters and I also made it with a clearance angle built in to give a little clearance. I still have a few other ideas for other sharping fixtures but will build them as I need them. Thanks for looking and feel free to copy if wanted.View attachment 231081 View attachment 231081 View attachment 231081 View attachment 231082 View attachment 231083 View attachment 231084 View attachment 231085

Just thought that I would like share my newest project. I kind of copied this from others but it has my own twist. It is all aluminum and I started to get some of it polished. I included the two guide slots for future use. I did make one fixture. already and it is to grind brazed carbide cutters. I have a set of these cutters so this will help to resharpen them. The slide has the two different angles for the left or right cutters and I also made it with a clearance angle built in to give a little clearance. I still have a few other ideas for other sharping fixtures but will build them as I need them. Thanks for looking and feel free to copy if wanted.View attachment 231081 View attachment 231081 View attachment 231081 View attachment 231082 View attachment 231083 View attachment 231084 View attachment 231085
real nice idea

Jay, So far this has been really a sturdy rest. I made it from 3/8 aluminum so it is pretty sturdy but I guess if you would be doing some really heavy grinding it would be better made out of steel. or even some heavier aluminum. I have only used it a few times now so really didn't have any issues as of yet.

I am currently building a rest of similar design. I am considering attaching some pre hardened precision flat ground 4140 to aluminum top plate. Still in work. Will post pics when complete.

Back