Grinder And Cut Off Saw For Use With Small Metal Working Projects?

Hey Aaron, I also own a Sherline lathe and I would agree with hman that a 4X6 bandsaw is a good tool to consider. I own a Jet 5X6 and find it one of the most used tools in my shop. While the Diablo blades will cut sheet aluminum amazingly well, you will probably be cutting round stock and for that, a 4X6 is one of the best options available to you. Why? Once tuned, it will cut the ends of your work piece pretty straight; mine cuts within 0.002" of dead straight and this saves money and time. It will cut almost any material I use in my shop and the blades last for years if the saw is tuned and used properly. Plus, there is no muscle involved and I really like that. Try cutting a 2" dia. piece of aluminum with a hacksaw and see how tired you get.

Those small portable bandsaws with the stand are okay but you will also need to cut with the saw vertical; a 4X6 is a good choice for that, too. I'm not disagreeing with everyone here. Their recommendations are solid. I just wanted to suggest that a horizontal/vertical bandsaw would be my best recommendation.

As for a bench grinder, I suggest you go with an 8" grinder. The wheels are more readily available than the 6", CBN wheels are also more readily available and the curvature of the wheel will leave less of a concave on your tools so the edge is generally stronger. I prefer a belt sander myself for grinding lathe tools but a good bench grinder with CBN wheels would be a good option as well. Check this guy out:

http://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/rikon-grinders

The Sherline lathe is an outstanding small precision lathe and when you learn to grind good tools it will surpass your expectations. Good luck!

I agree with the post from TOOLROOM, I'll add the I've bought many high quality tools in pawn shops (Milwaukee Port-A-Band) for less than the price of a harbor freight tool.

Thank you, the cost and size difference 6-8" is fairy minimal but I couldn't find much either way on preference. Things like the curve on ground tools and availability of wheels are worthwhile to me so I'll find myself a nice 8" .

I have a 10" table saw blade made for non ferrous metal that I've used for about the last 5 years. It works just fine as long as it's sharp and you
feed slowly. I've cut quite a bit of aluminum on it.

Back