Gravers for turning

The graver is sharpened so there is a diamond shape with a high point as you described, but in use the sides are used to cut, not just the point. The same applies to the round graver - the whole tip cuts, and you'll be cutting both toward and away from the chuck. Don't worry - the tool will cut and it will rough and finish equally well. The round graver will take off shavings that lift into the air with a breath - you'll like these tools.

I am considering a project that I think gravers would be interesting to use on, a chess set. Lots of curves etc.. I noticed a couple places saying that collets are required. I can see how the chuck jaws could be a problem, but if I stay well away from the chuck can it be done safely? I'd prefer to wait on a collet set.

I am considering a project that I think gravers would be interesting to use on, a chess set. Lots of curves etc.. I noticed a couple places saying that collets are required. I can see how the chuck jaws could be a problem, but if I stay well away from the chuck can it be done safely? I'd prefer to wait on a collet set.

Sure, it can be done if you stay away from the chuck. I've done it lots of times. BUT your concentration must be tightly focused and you cannot make a single mistake. I can tell you from experience that it is not fun to have a chuck jaw whap you on the knuckle at 900 rpm! Now, with that said ...

In the interests of safety and best practice, I will recommend you get a collet chuck when using gravers. On the lathe, a Chinese chuck with Chinese collets will suffice so the cost should not be outrageous. And it will be cheaper than a trip to the ER, I can assure you of that. Besides, your mind will function better when your anal sphincter is not interfering with your concentration.

Hope that helps! :)

That is very helpful, thank you! I suspected that would be about what the answer was, so I will just go ahead and pick up some cheapish collets before I attempt it. As you said, a chuck and collets are cheaper than medical care. And there's always the "more tools to play *ahem* WORK with" angle....

I'd like to put a dome shape on a knurled brass knob. Which shape graver would work best for this?, round or square..sharpened of course.

I'd like to put a dome shape on a knurled brass knob. Which shape graver would work best for this?, round or square..sharpened of course.

I would use a round graver for that, Emilio. Be sure to keep the shank of the graver flat so it doesn't dig in. Use the side curve of the tool to shape and the tip to finish. A dome will take you about 30 seconds to cut if you take your time.

Where are you buying the round HSS or steel gravers in 1/4"? Glensteel, Grobet?
Contenti and Amazon have 1/8" round steel gravers.

Mine are simple round HSS 1/8" Mo-max cobalt tool bits, set into hardwood dowel handles. The gravers sold already made work well for engraving but perhaps not so good for lathe work. You will find that the 1/8" round and square tool bits are the most useful size; bigger does not work better and interferes with your line of sight. The tool rest is only 1/8" away from the surface of the work so you will be working very close to the work piece; long tools are not an advantage.

Grrr... I would want my largest chess pieces to be about 2" diameter at the base. Can I turn down one end to 1" to fit the collets without causing issues with rigidity? Length would be about 4". I would take most of the diameters down before using gravers, and it sounds like cutting forces are pretty low with them.

Grrr... I would want my largest chess pieces to be about 2" diameter at the base. Can I turn down one end to 1" to fit the collets without causing issues with rigidity? Length would be about 4". I would take most of the diameters down before using gravers, and it sounds like cutting forces are pretty low with them.

You absolutely can. If you use ER collets, just turn down about 3/4" and that would be enough. However, with a 4" length, best to plan on using a live center until the very end; then you can trim off the end.

Back