Gravers for turning

mikey

Platinum
Staff member
Rest In Peace
In another thread, Brino asked some questions about gravers that we'll take up here:

@mikey[/USER], that sounds like it's worth it's own thread. Maybe you could answer some questions; are you referring to brass projects only? if not, what materials do you work free-hand? are they HSS tools? what shapes are the business ends? how long of handles?

Gravers are hand held turning tools that can be used to cut and shape any machinable material, from plastics to brass, aluminum to stainless and they will cut hardened steel, too. They can cut just about any shape you can imagine as long as its cylindrical or round or concave or convex. They can chamfer, ease a corner, round a corner, find the center at the end of a work piece turning in the chuck. And they can hog metal faster than you would think, and then finish a piece to a near mirror finish. If you have turned wood with a wood turning tool then you already know how to use a graver.

On my Sherline lathe, a graver touches almost every piece that I turn. I may want to minutely radius an edge so that it looks sharp without being sharp, or I may want to dome the end of a knurled knob or cut a decorative v-shaped or concave notch in piece. I don't own a radius tool; if I want a knob I just cut it with a graver to whatever shape I want, in whatever material I want.

Gravers are simply square or round 1/8" or 3/16 HSS/cobalt turning tool bits embedded in a piece of wooden dowel from the hardware store. Patterned after those used by WR Smith, a legendary horologist and fine gentleman, they have been used for over a hundred years, mainly by watchmakers and clockmakers. Gravers are simple to make. You simply grind the end of a tool bit to a 60 degree angle on a bench grinder, then hone them on a fine India stone, followed by a Translucent Arkansas stone.

I am attaching a .pdf below that tells you exactly how to make these tools; it is also available on the Sherline website. If you are interested in seeing Mr. Smith use gravers you can buy his video entitled "TOOLING THE WORKSHOP FOR CLOCKMAKERS & MODELMAKERS" directly from him.

EDIT: I reviewed my videos and found that I made an error on the specific video containing the most graver-specific information. The better video is: Graver Making & Hand Turning for Clockmakers and Modelmakers. I apologize for the error.

gravers.jpg

Over the years, I have come to prefer a 1/8" square and round tool bit. The square tool is used to hog, shape and contour. The round tool is used to shape, contour and finish curved surfaces and can take a whisper-thin cut to produce a near mirror finish.

Gravers must be used with a tool rest. I made mine from plans from Mr. Smith but the same rest can be purchased from Sherline; unfortunately, they only fit Sherline lathes but the rest that contacts the gravers can be adapted to any lathe with some thought. I am in the process of doing just that for my Emco lathe. My tool rest is made from precision ground tool steel. The tool support itself is hardened and tempered O-1 steel.

Graver Tool Rest.jpg Rest2.jpg Rest3.jpg

The tool support is vertically adjustable and can turn horizontally in any direction. The lever you see under the rest locks it to the dovetailed ways of a Sherline lathe.

As I said, a graver touches almost everything that comes off the lathe. I can add small touches that are subtle and unnoticed but add a touch of quality to the work. If I do it right, you won't notice this unless I mention it. Here is an example of what I mean:

LC-with-tips.jpg

This live center for my Sherline lathe is made from 1144 steel, with hardened tips. All edges were eased with a graver. You wouldn't notice this unless I pointed it out but you would feel it if you picked it up - just feels good in the hand, you know?

Anyway, I hope this piques your interest in this tool. They are easily amongst my most useful tools and I like to think they take my work to a higher level. I apologize for not having more or better pics available - I didn't expect to be discussing this when I woke up this morning.

Attachments

• gravers.pdf
    359 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Wow- great thread and a lot of really good info right off the bat. I've also seen gravers used on the Clickspring youtube channel. You can see them starting at 6:50 in this video:

Great post, Mike, and you have piqued my interest. Going to the PDF now, and then probably down the rabbit hole...

Thank you, Bob. There is a lot more to say about the use of these tools but if your work is already good, gravers will help make it gooder!

Thanks for a very interesting thread. You have more than piqued my interest. I make jigs for my woodworking hobby. I can see using gravers to make nice looking knobs. I may even make some for the metal machines. LOL

Wow- great thread and a lot of really good info right off the bat. I've also seen gravers used on the Clickspring youtube channel. You can see them starting at 6:50 in this video:

Wildo, I watched the video and noted that he is using the graver at a downward angle. Brass is sort of grabby and if you use the tool at an upward angle like you do for most materials, the tool can dig in and gouge the work. He is getting around that problem by angling the tool downward but as you can see, the finish is affected. For brass, the tool is supposed to be held at a flat approach angle; sort of like zero rake on a brass turning tool. It works much better this way and produces a really nice finish. If he had used a round tool to finish, he would have gotten a mirror finish without sanding and polishing. An end cut like he made would normally take about 45 seconds to a mirror finish with gravers.

The tool support is normally placed about 1/8" away from the work and the tool approach angle is about 10-15 degrees for all materials except brass and plastic, which use a zero degree approach angle. This provides best support and helps keep the tool from canting over and digging in.

In another thread, Brino asked some questions about gravers that we'll take up here:
I didn't expect to be discussing this when I woke up this morning.

Thanks Mikey!

I have done some wood turning, and heard about gravers for metal, but never made the leap to trying any.
I appreciate the write-up and all the pictures. Well Done!

-brino

Last edited:
I should insert a safety note here. Gravers are often used up close to the chuck that is turning anywhere from 500-2000 rpm. Getting rapped on the knuckles with the jaws of a spinning chuck is not that much fun so I highly recommend you use a collet chuck if you plan to do a lot of close graver work. I prefer an ER chuck for this but any collet chuck is better than none. I often cut right next to the jaws of a 3 jaw chuck but I've been doing it for very long time and I've got my Spidey-sense set to full tingle. I don't do this as a matter of course but sometimes the work demands it without removing the work from the chuck so I do it.

It should go without saying but do not use gloves with these tools. If your glove gets wrapped up in the work you will become one with your lathe far beyond your intent. Use your head, be careful and enjoy the process.

Back