Granite Surface Plate

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/tls/4469199334.html

this looks like a deal. if I had time, i would get it. of course, it needs checking but looks promising.

there is a pic in the ad.

A 24" x 36" x 4" granite Starrett surface block. Includes a heavy 1/4" thick angle iron support table on rollers and adjustable feet. It has threaded inserts. Also has a hole bored thru it that was used for passing electrical cords thru it. Bring your trailer when you come to see it. The strips on the top surface are adhesive residue. They are not imperfections in the granite surface.

Would consider delivery for an additional fee.

The price is not far from what we pay here for flooring granite.
The holes are pretty odd: generally a Starrett block is not a thing people use in the same way of an MDF scrap, so look at it carefully, specially for cracks.

that is exactly my thought. why would you drill a through hole for electric cables? An attorney once told me you can lose your ming trying to understand the motives and actions of others.

so, if I get the chance, it would be worth looking over.

It was probably for a small CTLM or to mount a piece of equipment on that needed a flat surface to measure from. Tim

Re: New Granite Surface Plate

Newbie Question:- I have just set up my black granite surface plate.... or will when I find a mate to help lift it onto the new stand I made up. Its only small at 24x18x4" -big enough for my neads. I was wondering if there is anything I should coat / clean it with / wipe over before I do anything else with it. Does it need a sealer ?

It still has some grinding dust on the lower face which I thought to clean of with water. But before I do that I thought I would ask.

Thanks for the replies...
Lurk.

I use a glass cleaner like Windex. Seems to work fine. Do not use a sealer.

Back