Granite Surface Plate

LJP

Active User
Registered
I bought a Starrett pink granite surface plate 24" x 24" x 4" thick, CL, $75, nice condition. I have yet to set it up.
I am running out of floor space and don't really want to set it up on its own stand, I know it will become a place to pile crap.
My bench, in the middle of the floor has a 3" thick solid maple top. I was thinking of making a heavy duty "drawer" for the granite plate. It will be protected and out of the way until it is needed.

So until NASA calls me to do some custom work for them, I was wondering, how much can a piece of stone twist that is 24" x 24" x 4" thick?
All opinions welcome!
Thanks, Larry

Larry, surface plates of that size usually come with three feet on its bottom side. Don’t think that plate gonna twist on you. I like to have my surface plate referenced to gravity. You never know how handy that is until you use level for set-up! So, being in a draw makes that option a tough call…Good luck.

I agree with C&M - three feet and leveled to gravity will probably work better.

Seems like you'd need some serious hardware to make yours slide out like a drawer, and in addition to possibly breaking past the stops and landing on your feet, would it tip the bench? I like the idea, but have my doubts that you'd like it.

Mine is 2'x3', and it's not light. Not at all. I also don't have a ton of space, so I made a plywood cover lined with felt to protect it while not in use. Yeah, crap piles up, but I don't use it a ton and I can lift the whole mess off of it quickly when needed. Maybe you could make the stand into a cabinet for more storage instead?

-Ryan

Ryan and Chips, you both make good points about leveled to gravity. I hadn't considered useing it as a level surface, but now of course I see that is a basic part of how to effectively use it. Glad I asked.
The hardware to make it slide as a drawer, shouldn't be a problem, as a custom cabinetmaker I have made some pretty heavy things, slide and swing.
Thanks for the input!
Larry

I am on a similar path ... though a small plate than defined by the OP ... and am curios about the 'level to gravity' concept. Given that my house snaps and pops during the significant tempurature changes this winter I have to assume the basement floor is also shifting to some degree. I this leads me to believe that I should 'level to gravity' every time I want to use it as a level reference.

If that is a reasonable assumption then a robust drawer and attaching a small 'level to gravity before each use as a level reference' sign would seem to address the issue.

I am also assuming that 'level to gravity' is not necessary if I am simply using the plate as a 'flat surface' reference.

Awaiting assumption validation or corrective education,
Arvid

I did exactly what you are suggesting and am very pleased with it. I don't use my plate as a level surface, only as a flat one. And I don't use it very often. When I need it, I just pull the drawer out, and it's clean and ready to use ;)

Mine came without feet, so I added some large rubber ones (3 of them) 2 on 1 edge, 1 in the middle on the other. This 3 point contact is important, as it prevents rocking/twisting. There are also general rules about the spacing of the feet.. but I forgot what those are ;)

I have my surface plate hiding under my tool box on my mobile bench. I built a box around it to keep it clean, and so I wouldn't have to kill the kids when when they try to use it for an anvil. I just move the tool box sideways, and lift off the cover. It is a little inconvenient to get to sometimes, but it is well protected and I don't need it that often.

I have a 18"x24"x3" green granite and if I recall it was 180lbs when it was sent to me. I have mine on the top of my Proto roll around till I can find a better place to set it up. I have a 24" Starrett height gage and a 12" digital Fowler in the roll around to keep them safe.

Todd

Clean flat surfaces are magnets for trash in my place. ive kept stuff off my plate (18x24). I was thinking the same thing, or even a folding table like contraption... dunno, still thinking about it

I did exactly what you are suggesting and am very pleased with it. I don't use my plate as a level surface, only as a flat one. And I don't use it very often. When I need it, I just pull the drawer out, and it's clean and ready to use ;)

Mine came without feet, so I added some large rubber ones (3 of them) 2 on 1 edge, 1 in the middle on the other. This 3 point contact is important, as it prevents rocking/twisting. There are also general rules about the spacing of the feet.. but I forgot what those are ;)

Yes, and I believe the general rule is “two support points separated by 5/9 of the objects length”. So, with the SP in question, apply the math in two dimensions.

Back