GRANITE BLOCK

I wouldn't go with regular float glass which is what's sold in most hardware stores for any kind of good accuracy but that's my $.02. FWIW, I was surprised to see that granite surface plates aren't as $$ as I'd thought they'd be. I wouldn't want to buy an expensive rock if I didn't have to though. :p

Just saw this on Amazon.com seems like a deal to me

[h=1]Grizzly G9655 18" x 24" x 3" Granite Surface Plate, 2 Ledges[/h]by Grizzly
No reviews yet|5.0 out of 5 stars5.0 out of 5 stars5.0 out of 5 stars5.0 out of 5 stars5.0 out of 5 stars 1 customer rating for the brand

Price:$64.95

Just saw this on Amazon.com seems like a deal to me

Grizzly G9655 18" x 24" x 3" Granite Surface Plate, 2 Ledges

by Grizzly

No reviews yet|5.0 out of 5 stars5.0 out of 5 stars5.0 out of 5 stars5.0 out of 5 stars5.0 out of 5 stars 1 customer rating for the brand

Price:$64.95

I wonder what the shipping would be? I suspect it's as much if not more than the $64.95 price.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an example of a super buy. He stated he can have it shipped to someplace in the ND and drive down and get it to save on shipping, he can check with Amazon or Grizzly and also check with Enco.

PS: I checked and Amazon to anywhere is the lower 48 is $79.00. I also stated I see surface plates at auctions sell for $10.00, so for under $150.00 he could but a granite plate.

I see these questions on the forums all the time and the answer is, granite surface plates are calibrated to a known standard, window glass is not. So the only way to know for sure is to take the piece of glass you plan on using and check it to a surface plate of known flatness. If you can't do that then no, a piece of glass is not flat enough.

Tom

One other thing to consider with glass is its creep factor. An example of this is the distortion one usually sees in old (80+ years) window panes. Old glass was made using the float method, so it was flat and clear, without distortion. But, as glass ages, it sags under it's own weight. And this is happening with the glass setting in its strongest orientation, edgewise up (which is why glass is always stored and transported standing up). You would be using it in its weakest orientation, laying flat, so the sag would happen much, much faster. So, if it was flat enough for your purpose when you bought it, you have no reason to expect it to stay that way for any length of time.

Thanks for all the info guys At the price one can get Granite its not worth fooling around with glass. I though it was way more moula than that ,I know it wont be high end but good enough for my expertice. Thanks Denis

Apologies, but glass does not creep or sag. That's an old wives' tale. (It will deflect under load, but not creep).

Back