Graduated dials

Listen I see people who make dials on a daily basis stamp them in the lathe with no problem you are over thinking this I have seen timken bearings on cars with bent spindles the same bearings we are using that never have a crack in them I have replace hundreds of timken bearing in car, truck, farm equipment, and indutrial equipment that took all kinds of impact including the center stage out of commercial snow blowers and never a cracked bearing. The only time I have seen a cracked bearing is one that overheated and gauled that is it end of story. Have you ever tried to crack a bearing to get it off? I have seen guys try and they usually dont win and end up with round chisels, a slight tap of a brass hammer would not bruise your finger. Most timkens of this size can take a several thousand pounds of force to even damage the bearing would break the casting, the small amount I am applying here will not make any differance so I choose to continue on I deal with facts and in my experiance it will still remain an unproven tall tale. Ray

Last edited:
Easy fellas. Time to stay calm.

:watching:

100_0820.JPG

At any rate here is the finished dial sorry about the poor picture I also need to color the lines and numbers a little. I am going to make a couple more this went very well. Ray

100_0820.JPG

Colour the lines white and they will look as good as Hardinge dials. The numbering is perfectly aligned, nice work.

Great idea and great job. How did you make the lines?

I also need to color the lines and numbers a little. I am going to make a couple more this went very well. Ray

Yes it did Ray, very well. :thumbsup2:

So what color are you going to use? Make sure we get to see finished item.

Great idea and great job. How did you make the lines?

I sharpened a cutting tool and used a carriage stop you basicly drag the tool through the metal just scratching the surface I cut in about 15 thousands deep..For the short lines instead of readjusting the carrige stop each time I used a small magnet as a spacer to stop the carriage short. thanks Ray

Last edited:
Yes it did Ray, very well. :thumbsup2:

So what color are you going to use? Make sure we get to see finished item.

Like I said this is a dial for a friend so it will be up to him on the color he is talking red or black (red)? I dont think I have ever seen a red one I might mention the white. Thanks Ray

Excelent post Iron Man. I have several projects that will benefit from/need/were supposed to have graduated dials!

Chuck

For what its worth I tried red graduation lines I made on a radius cutter for my lathe and for me at least the contrast was really hard to read. It was easier to see the lines with no colour than with the red.

Back