Gotta cut some tool steel, need suggestions on best approach.

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I just ordered some A2 tool steel that is 1/4" x 4" x 18" (and some 1/2" square fwiw) for making a couple of fixtures. I will need to cut it into a couple of 5" lengths (1/4"x4"x5"). How would you do this without a mill? Band saw or cut-off saw maybe? Don't have either one but it'll be a great excuse to buy another tool. ;)

-Ron

No problem Dave. The steel grading and different names used has me confused to no end. It seems that everywhere you look someone is using a different term or standard.

Oh, and I'll start looking into a new bandsaw. ;)

-Ron

DaveH link=topic=2807.msg19273#msg19273 date=1311170214 said:
Apologies to Ron I took this a little off topic. ::)

My thanks to Tony, Bill and DU. :)

Really is a nuisance to call the same thing by different words in different Countries.

DaveH

Yeah, but look at the education we all get! Ain't this Internet thing great! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone up for making a "master cross reference" for tools (spanner - wrench, etc.), metals, and such? I don't have the knowledge, time, or inclination but other than that I'm all for it. ;)

Oh, and I'm looking seriously at the Jet 5"x6" Vert./Hor. band saw. The HF is half the cost but I have a problem buying much of anything from them which has moving parts or I really would like to see last.

-Ron

Why? They're made in the same factory. The Jet has a different color is the most significant difference.

rleete link=topic=2807.msg19344#msg19344 date=1311247058 said:
Why? They're made in the same factory. The Jet has a different color is the most significant difference.

Being made in the same factory doesn't necessarily mean being built to the same spec. I'll definitely take a look at the HF as well but if the Jet is using better bearing or some parts of obviously higher quality, etc. it makes the price difference worth it to me. If anyone has had a chance to do a physical comparison between the two I'd love to hear what they have to say.

Tony Wells link=topic=2807.msg19390#msg19390 date=1311289352 said:

That's a little on the high side but it's definitely on my "want" list.

Ed, thanks for the "heads-up" on the Enco. Free shipping would put it in the ballpark. (I've got a MSC supply locally where I believe I can pick up the Jet if I decide on it.) The one difference I see offhand between the Enco unit and the Jet is that the Enco is 1/3 hp whereas the Jet is 1/2 hp. Minor difference I know but still something I need to consider as I tend to push my tools fairly hard at times. Not my fault by the way, just seems to happen that way. :-\

Seems I'll have to give it all a little more consideration before I'm ready to lay down any $$$.

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back