1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Got outbid on an Atlas Shaper today

Discussion in 'SHAPERS & THEIR USES' started by welderr, Apr 8, 2017.

1. welderr

welderr United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Whitehouse Station
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

I went to an estate auction today to bid on an Atlas Shaper, it appeared complete on its original stand, but obviously hadn't been in use for a long while,and didn't show any outward signs of abuse but the motor had been changed and the guards were with it but not installed and one of them was either broken or modified, possibly to work with the newer motor. I bid up to $400.00 which I decided was my limit a few days ago, I was interested in it mainly to compliment my Atlas lathe with the milling attachment on it, mainly for squaring up stock and other uses , but it was approaching the price of a bench top mill which I was trying to avoid buying , but may end up with any way. I was just attracted to it from a coolness factor, but mainly from the tooling expense factor as grinding your own HSS bits is a lot cheaper than buying a whole nother bunch of mill tools. T J Ps. If someone from here is who bought it sorry to bid against you but you wanted it more than me :)

2. westsailpat

westsailpat United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    long beach
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

IMO WE , you lucked out , you just saved yourself $ 400. . Shapers while incredibly cool are limited , yes I know they can do special neat stuff . But they can't drill or bore , and a whole lot more . I think you should concentrate on finding a bench top hor./vert. mill .

BGHansen likes this.
  3. darkzero

darkzero Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Los Angeles
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Isn't there some sort of saying like "you can still make lots of things with a shaper, just not a profit". I don't care about profit, I still want one but have no room.

4. tertiaryjim

tertiaryjim Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Naturita
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Condolences
    Hope you get the next one.

FOMOGO likes this.
  5. welderr

City:
    Whitehouse Station
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

As neat as the Shaper is the base model Taig mill is $455.00 so that's what I had in the back of my mind. I have a J head Bridgeport and other tools still set up for now at my Dad,'s old shop, but for how long I don't know, if you use your imagination on set up and have patience for lighter cuts you can actually get a lot done with the lathe milling attachment and for me that's part of the fun and challenge of it , but once I lose access to the Bridgeport I will probably get a little one. TJ

6. westsailpat

City:
    long beach
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

7. welderr

City:
    Whitehouse Station
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

That's neat probably as easy to find as hen's teeth too :) TJ

8. westsailpat

City:
    long beach
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

9. Doubleeboy

Doubleeboy Active User Active Member

City:
    Eugene
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Light weight shapers have the same problem as lightweight lathes and mills, a lack of rigidity, compounded frequently by poor quality components. Atlas mills are cute, but not in same league as Logan or others IMO. I would get a mill before a shaper. I have a shaper and love to play with it, its great for dovetails, but it gets used about 1/10 or less compared to my mill. My recommendation would be to keep your eye out for a used Mill/Drill, use it till you hate it, sell it and then get a knee mill. Mill drills are highly sellable and buying a used one protects you from much loss if and when you decide to move on.

Glenn Brooks likes this.
  10. welderr

City:
    Whitehouse Station
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

I gather your a sailer , me too I have a Sunfish and a Daysailer, and a project boat, a Jet 14. It won't be long now that spring has sprung. T J

11. westsailpat

City:
    long beach
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

12. cjtoombs

cjtoombs United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Ridgecrest
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

There was a time when you could buy Atlas Shapers all day for that price, but they have gone up. You may still find one for that if you can find a seller who knows nothing about the machine. I got mine for ~500 but I waited for some time to find that deal. They can do useful work around the shop, and it is nice to be able to grind you own tools offhand on a bench grinder. As much as I love shapers, I do agree that a mill should be on the docket ahead of a shaper, although it sounds like you already have some milling capability. Milling on the lathe tends to be pretty limited due to the short travel of the cross slide on most lathes. Take care and good luck in your search.

scwhite and westsailpat like this.
  13. LarryJ

LarryJ United States Steel Registered Member

City:
    Grants Pass
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

14. Cactus Farmer

Cactus Farmer Active User Active Member

City:
    Crane County
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

"Isn't there some sort of saying like "you can still make lots of things with a shaper, just not a profit"."

I have heard that many times ,now, I own two 7 inch shapers and I made money with both of them. A Logan floor model and a South Bend bench top.
    Yes they are slow but to cut screw slots they are the berries. It seems they are the go to tool for a great deal of my gunsmith work. Tooling is rare for the
    tricky things but if there is a picture of it somewhere I usually build it anyway. YMMY

15. bobshobby

bobshobby Australia H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Adelaide, South Australia.
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Don't know about the profit, but that's not why I'm here. However I would really love a shaper, but alas no room.

16. cjtoombs

cjtoombs United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Ridgecrest
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I think shapers have their nitch. They certainly are not competitive with a CNC machining center for production work, but in the repair business, I think they could hold their own. I understand that they are used extensively in repair shops in less developed countries. This is likely due to the low cost of tooling for them. You can still find new ones produced in India and China. I think that there are probably areas in production where they could be useful, as well, but no one in production would think to use one. I have several and for certain work they are my go to tools. I like them for roughing (I have some big shapers) and keyway cutting. They will also put a nice "knurl" on a flat part pretty easily. Those are good for aesthetic reasons as well as practical ones.

bobshobby likes this.
  17. bobshobby

City:
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

I always loved the "click, clack, thunk" as the shaper went through it's cycle. Much like the "clickity clack" of a railway track.

cjtoombs likes this.
  18. dgehricke

dgehricke United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I had a shaper an AMMCO 7 inch shaper I sold it for $500.00 about 5-6 years back then I bought the one in the avatar for $175.00 it takes up a lot less room and doesn't use electricity, a real Bargain. img0.jpg img1.jpg img3.jpg
    I've used this one as much as I used the Ammco the set up time is the killer.
    Regards
    dgehricke

bobshobby, francist and f350ca like this.
  19. bobshobby

City:
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Like it, is it home made or commercial, if so what brand and are they still made?

20. dgehricke

dgehricke United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Tampa
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

No identifying marks I have only found one other like it an ADEPT hand shaper made in England back in the 50s They are no longer being made.Heres a photo of the Adept almost an exact duplicate but no markings what so ever
    dgehricke

Attached Files: