Got Myself A Craftsman Horizontal Bandsaw

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a Craftsman model 101.2290 a couple of weeks ago. Overall it is in god condition but did need some TLC to make it run. The motor was toast but fortunately I had a usable spare. Blade tracking was dismal because a previous owner had filed the idler wheel shaft where it squares itself to the idler wheel plate. I machined this area on the mill and shimmed the idler wheel plate to get the blade to track. Still needs painting but overall I'm pleased with my purchase.

Anyone else have one of these? There isn't a lot of information on the internet.

Tom S

20150526_174858.jpg

I had one years ago , it was used and had some of the same problems as yours. I was able to get parts from sears fixed it right up. Cut lots of steel brass and aluminum on that baby , had to sell it when times got tough but wish I could have it back now . Really was a good saw , good luck it will cut and cut and never say die. A little maintenance once and awhile is all it wants.

I had one years ago , it was used and had some of the same problems as yours. I was able to get parts from sears fixed it right up. Cut lots of steel brass and aluminum on that baby , had to sell it when times got tough but wish I could have it back now . Really was a good saw , good luck it will cut and cut and never say die. A little maintenance once and awhile is all it wants.

It appears to be well built. Everything on the saw is either cast iron or solid steel except for the blade wheels and drive gears which are aluminum.. No sheet metal what so ever. I've got one of those portable bandsaws that's mounted on a table and frame that works OK for straight cuts but angled cuts are not possible. The Craftsman saw has angle cut capabilities so that should fill this gap.

Tom S

Mine is an Atlas, built by Kalamazoo I believe. I can post a picture of the tag if you wish.P1010793.JPG

Kalamazoo is a city in MI where the Atlas (and then Clausing) main plant was located most of the time between the end of WW-I and today.

I have had two of these. Sears model: 101.22923. Both needed replacement nylon bevel gears (no longer available at sears), I found several other owners looking for the same gear. A year ago I stumbled on the gear on a 3D printer web site while looking for a cookie dipping coffee cup for my wife. The bevel gear has held up well so far. I can send you a photo.
Roy L

I have had two of these. Sears model: 101.22923. Both needed replacement nylon bevel gears (no longer available at sears), I found several other owners looking for the same gear. A year ago I stumbled on the gear on a 3D printer web site while looking for a cookie dipping coffee cup for my wife. The bevel gear has held up well so far. I can send you a photo.
Roy L

What is the name of the 3D printer that supplied the gear to you? Please provide picture when you can.

I have two of the craftsman band saws with good Bevel gears, but its always good to have a spare.

I'm looking for a guide rail for my second one.

Does anyone here have it from a parts band saw?

Last edited:
I picked up a Craftsman model 101.2290 a couple of weeks ago. Overall it is in god condition but did need some TLC to make it run. The motor was toast but fortunately I had a usable spare. Blade tracking was dismal because a previous owner had filed the idler wheel shaft where it squares itself to the idler wheel plate. I machined this area on the mill and shimmed the idler wheel plate to get the blade to track. Still needs painting but overall I'm pleased with my purchase.

Anyone else have one of these? There isn't a lot of information on the internet.

Tom S

View attachment 104596

Just like one of mines.

does yours have the motor belt guard still attached?

I bought one of those 3d printed gears just for a spare. It looks very good. While i've not used it, I've read of others who have and it worked fine.

Gear.jpg

Back