Got My First Machine!

Normally they just press on/off without too much effort.

I used a 3-jaw puller to get mine off. Use some care when pulling, it is possible to break the pulley with too much pressure on the outside rim. Maybe a little heat concentrated on the pulley away from the motor shaft would be helpful. You may have to remove the endbell with the pulley half in place, then press the the pulley off using some thin plates in a press.

@Ulma Doctor there where only 3 wires coming out of the motor I just wanted to take the cover off to see if the other 6 wires have been tucked inside or if you are correct about it being wound for 460, I think I'll probably get a transformer the way it's looking tho...

if the machine ran on 460 before,
adding up the sum of all that you'd need to possibly do and the time it will take to do it, would be a wash
you could source a 230v motor and reconfigure the electrical system to any degree you can imagine.
i think you wanna make chips, throwing a lot of money and time at a conversion may not be the best money spent
especially if you can get a transformer from a surplus vendor like HGR or someone similar
you may need to hire a sparky(electrician) to do the final hook up to get your code papers straight
arguably, it will be the best way for this case IMO

Izzy,

First, that pulley should just have a key and set screw holding it on. Make sure it isn't double set-screwed (one set screw on top of another). That is a common practice. As stated by others here, be sure to support the pulley well so you don't break it.
Secondly, as for the electrical situation, you have three options : 1-get the existing motor rewired for 230V, 2- purchase a new 230V motor, 3- use a 230V to 460V step-up transformer. I think a portion of this decision would be determined on whether or not this machine is going to be a short or long term ownership. Short term, I think the quickest, easiest and MAYBE least expensive is to go with the step-up transformer. Long term, I personally would make the conversion to 230V operation. I am not an electrical engineer so am not sure how to make accurate calculations for you concerning the electrical efficiency losses you will have when stepping up to 460V operation. It may also require that you use a larger capacity RPC, I'm not sure. But these things will very likely increase the operating cost of the machine (higher electric bill). That may or may not be important to you, but something you should be aware of.

Ted

I got this machine for an absolute steal and I know it's a pretty robust machine compared to the series 1, so I don't think I'll be replacing it anytime soon I think I got very lucky on this machine as is. That being said i would like to get it up and running for as cheap and reliable as possible. They guy I bought the machine off of gave me one of his contacts for used transformers and such but as I agree with you about converting to 230 due to the electricity costs tho. Just gotta weigh out my options at this point...

Also I got some better pics of everything and the I.d. tag on the quill feed motor
IMG_20161009_184633.jpg IMG_20161009_184442.jpg IMG_20161009_184733.jpg IMG_20161009_184752.jpg

IMG_20161009_184442.jpg

IMG_20161009_184633.jpg

IMG_20161009_184733.jpg

IMG_20161009_184752.jpg

Izzy
Those are Allen Bradley magnetic starters using an overload block with W46 heaters. If you change that spindle motor to 230V you will need W54 heaters. The coils are 115V so you won't need to change those. The quill motor is DC so it must be powered by the electronic control unit in the electrical panel, so you shouldn't need to make any changes there.

Ted

Awesome! I feel like this is getting easier and I'm better understanding it all as we go along that's a good thing right? Lol I deffinetly want to keep it so I'm considering still going through with the 230vac operation.
If I end up getting a new motor I'm assuming it has to be rated for atleast 4hp correct? Can I go higher? And does it have to be a specific kind of motor or any old 3phase motor will do? I've got a 5hp leeson motor lying around that has dual voltage connections but I'd have to find a way to mount it standing up as it only has a side mount plate...

5hp would be fine........BUT, BPs and other mills use non standard motor frame sizes. Special mount and shaft. A 184C frame might work, but the standard shaft won't work with the veri-drive.

Back