Got My First Machine!

@Ted I think the pictures may be getting blurry after uploading is there a way to directly send them to you?
As for the motor wiring, there where only 3 wires coming out of the motor are the other 6 inside? I'm gonna take some of the covers off this weekend to get a better look at everything.

Izzy,
I guess we're both typing at the same time. I wasn't paying attention to the photo of the motor peckerhead you posted. Apparently they made up the high voltage connections inside the motor and just brought out the #1,2, and 3 wires. You're going to have to do a little investigating to see if those #4,5,6,7,8 and 9 wires are accessible.
Yes, you can e-mail the photos to me at jta101@surewest.net.

Ted

Just sent an email! I'll be at the machine later today I'll dig a little deeper and report back!

i'm wondering if the spindle motor was rewound for 460v only,
most times the 9 wires are instantly visible as soon as you take the enclosure cap off

Its possible I mean the machine is from 81! Doesnt look like anything has been touched on it in a long time tho but this could also explain the "wired 460 volt" sticker I thought that may have just meant that it's connected for 460 not permanently wired like that lol guess I'll find out tonight when I get the cover off!

Izzy,

For some reason one of the posts I did last night has disappeared. Concerning the connections in the motor junction box, I wasn't paying attention to the photo you posted. It looks like wires #4 through #9 have been connected inside the motor and only wires #1, 2 & 3 have been brought out into the junction box. You'll have to do some investigating to see if you can access those six wires to make the re-connects. I have been trying to study the electrical schematics that you e-mailed to me. They are still a little difficult to read but definitely better than those posted here. It looks like those are not the Bridgeport schematics. They are apparently from TRW who I'm guessing either installed or modified the controls for this mill. There are a lot of had written changes and things that have been eliminated with white-out. It looks like the lube pump and the control circuit are 115V. There is a 115V circuit going to a symbol on the diagram that is labeled "Quill". The problem is that it doesn't indicate if that symbol is the quill motor or a control unit for the quill motor....I'm guessing the latter. See if you can take a picture of the data plate on the quill motor and post it here. These things being 115V is good news because they don't require any changes. You will just have to change the primary (input) connections on the transformer for 230V supply voltage. I will get back to you with some info on your fuses.

Ted

Ted, you are the man! I would be lost without right now brother! So I thought there was a cover for the motor being held down with 4 bolts, take the bolts out and the whole motor came out! Its a little late for me now but ill dig into the motor a little more tomorrow and see what I can find and report back.
The quill has an autofeed, I'm not sure I saw an i.d. tag on it though I'll check tomorrow and see what I can find.

i'm wondering if the spindle motor was rewound for 460v only,
most times the 9 wires are instantly visible as soon as you take the enclosure cap off
Izzy,

Mike (Ulma Doctor) may be correct about this motor. According to the data plate it was originally a dual voltage motor, but maybe somewhere in it's life it was re-wound and they just hard wired it for 460V. See if those other wires are accessible. If not, you'll have to either take the motor to a motor shop and have them bring out the 230V connections, buy a new motor or go with using a step-up transformer and run this machine on 460V. Let me know what you find out.

Ted

Alright guys so I got the motor off I'm trying to take the cover off but I need to remove this half of the pulley that is just not coming off! I've removed the 2 little pig nuts that hold it into place and sprayed some wd40 around the shaft and keyway to try and free it up, beat it with a hammer and still nothing... Any tricks to getting this out?

IMG_20161009_203414.jpg

you really don't need to go any further unless you are going to repair the motor or change the bearings as far as i can see.
you'd already be able to tell if it was a dual voltage motor-
the motor looks to have been wound for 460v only operation.
you are most likely not going to be able to convert it back yourself without a lot of heartache.
you could take it to a motor shop and go down that road, but i think that you may be at a point where a 460v step up transformer
may be the best and least costly option for you
unless you'd like to go through the process of conversion, that is also an option- but it's not the easiest road to travel :)

Is the pulley steel or cast iron? If it is steel I would rig up a puller that grasps the edges of the pulley and draws it towards the end of shaft. If it is cast iron, well I would wait for others here to respond - I would hate to tell you something that could crack the pulley.

A little heat on the pulley could help, just don't get carried away and catch any grease on the motor on fire.

Have you seen any witness marks on the shaft that the pulley has moved at all? In either direction?

Back