Got My First Machine!

@Ted, of course I can upload the wiring diagrams! The machine is being stored at my parents house as they live in the country and have the space for it so I won't be able upload them until I get a chance to get out there.
@Ulma Doctor thank you! That's the kind of straight forward and to the point kind of answer I've been looking for, doesn't seem as hard as everyone's been making it out to be when u put it that way! The transformer inside the machine puts out 90VDC I believe as that's what the axis motors run on does that sound about right?
I'll upload the wiring diagrams as soon as I can thanks for all the help guys! :)

The axis motors are most likely DC, the transformer puts out AC to the axis controllers which convert them to variable DC. I agree with Ulma Doctor, most of the machine controls run off the secondary from the transformer, the input voltage is often set by the 4 terminals to the transformer. Connection for 460VAC is usually terminals 1 and 4 with a jumper from 2 to 3 (windings are serially connected), connection for 230VAC is power to terminals 1 and 4 with jumpers from 1 to 3 and 2 to 4 (windings are in parallel). Other transformers have taps for the different line voltages, so usually simple to adjust the input voltage. You will need to check the power down feed, as it is an accessory and not sure how it connects in. If you can get a specific schematic for this machine that would help. A step up transformer could be pricey unless you can find something used, probably need a 5KVA. AN RPC would be the best power source to convert to 3 phase, and maintain all the machine functions.

in picture 3, i'm making the assumption that it is the spindle motor...
you will need to reconfigure those taps
T4,T5,T6 are connected and secured together
T1,T7 and one input leg- go together
T2,T8 and one input leg- go together
T3,T9 and one input leg-go together
tthe spindle motor is now tapped for 230v 3 phase operation

Last edited:
@Ted, of course I can upload the wiring diagrams! :)

This is the first and most important step. Converting the machine to operate on 230v shouldn't be difficult, but you don't want to overlook something and cause damage to any of the electrical equipment. The schematic will help to insure nothing is overlooked. For instance, those five fuses in the upper left corner of the panel are protecting SOMETHING, what, I don't know but possibly the power down feed motor, coolant pump, etc. If those auxiliary motors are also currently wired for 460V operation, they will also have to be re-configured for 230V and the fuses changed as well. I'm just trying to make the point that it's important to be thorough in making the change over to 230V.

Ted

of course i agree completely! this is my first machine so i wana make sure im doing everything right i got it for a steal at a machine shop auction and i know there would be no other way i would have been able to afford something like this so i deffinetely dont want to screw anything up! lol i wont be able to get the wiring diagrams up until next weekend when i visit mom and pop ( and the machine of course :p ). yall have been a real confidence boost though! the last forum i was on all i kept hearing was "google it" or "you're way in over your head" all i was asking for was a little help like i did here and they just shut me down but a simple explanation like i got here and it all makes sense and seems alot easier than what they made it out to be!
in the mean time where do i find endmills and parts for the machine? im gonna take a guess and say ordering online is my best bet?

when someone tells you to google something, that means that they have no idea on how to help you.
they are intimidated by their lack of understanding and rather than learn something themselves the'd rather pass the buck,
if you'd know the real truth.

your conversion will be only as hard as you make it
there are some things to be learned but none of them, my friend, are out of your reach.
get verification if you do not know how to do something, but do not let it be a barrier to success.
i'll be happy to assist you in getting it to make chips, i'm sure that other members can and will help out as well
you are not alone

I can't wait to get this thing up and running! :D thanks for all the support guys I'll post up those diagrams as soon as I can!

Alright guys time for an update! Got around to getting lots of detailed pics of everything and brought the wiring diagrams home with me to study over. After a detailed Inspection on the machine its clear its a little rough and needs some work. Let me know if you guys think it's still salvageable the knee way is pretty rough. The table has a couple dings and a few scratches but I think it might just need some elbow grease, there was however alot more rust build up on the table than I thought alot of it cleaned up with wd40 and a scotch before but the dark areas are rusted enough that when I attempted to witness file the table it just caked up my file with rust!

IMG_20161003_092640.jpg

Back